Author Topic: McKillers Court / McKellors Court  (Read 484 times)

CMcG

Re: McKillers Court / McKellors Court
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »

🧐🧐🧐... head scratching here.  I use BNA.... and did a search yesterday but nil results.  did an advanced search..
If you have any search tips then i’m All ears

You're right, BNA initially brought back nothing for me, every search I do on that website is like trial and error, I got lucky by eventually trying every possible variation of the name and also by searching for anything containing the exact phrase off Nelson Street and the word Court.  And in relation to the name, the other thing I've discovered on BNA is that Mc often isn't recognised since the original newspaper often prints it as M'.  So for example, if I'm looking for someone called McDaid, I will search for both that and M'Daid. Infuriatingly though, when you search for the latter, the finds that come back don't show you a little contextual summary up front, you have to go in and read what it's about, which is time consuming.

I've also just noticed a reference to a little girl called 'Bridget Mallon (McKiller's Court)' finding a body in nearby Duncrue Street in September 1895.

It's interesting that in addition to Hendron being the occupiers of 139-141 Nelson Street in 1951 and 1960, that they also had this listing for Trafalgar Street:

1951: 40-46. Hendron & Co., scrap metal stores
1960: 40-46. Hendron Bros. (Belfast), Ltd., scrap metal stores

Since the entrance to McKiller's Court was listed as being immediately beside no. 139 Nelson Street, it would suggest that at some stage (probably before the Hendrons came along) it was sold off and demolished to link through to 40-46 Trafalgar Street, creating one bigger yard, shown as the 'dog leg' space in the 1952 - 1965 map extract. The last street directory mention of the Court I can see (ie. as residence) is in 1907, it's gone in the 1908 directory.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Spudz

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

Great information CMcG and Bread Basket, you work very well together and are a credit to this forum.

I was looking for any information on Daniel Stevenson or Steenson who may have lived or stayed at McKellors Court.

Re. Hendrons, I remember when I was a kid, another kid at school told me about a Hendrons crane that went down Fleet Street, around the 12th July. There were banners / streamers hanging across the street. The jib on the crane was up and as it travelled along the street it caught all the banners, bringing them down. Apparently some locals were not too happy.

Bread Basket

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 11:22:56 AM »
Great information CMcG and Bread Basket, you work very well together and are a credit to this forum.

I was looking for any information on Daniel Stevenson or Steenson who may have lived or stayed at McKellors Court.

Re. Hendrons, I remember when I was a kid, another kid at school told me about a Hendrons crane that went down Fleet Street, around the 12th July. There were banners / streamers hanging across the street. The jib on the crane was up and as it travelled along the street it caught all the banners, bringing them down. Apparently some locals were not too happy.

Spudz.... just done a quick search on both names but have not found a Stevenson or a Steenson for the McKellors Court address. However I did find both names living very close by in Earl Lane and Pilot St. Both these addresses were within less than 100yards from McKellor’s Court. Have you any further info on him, eg his parents names, was he married,
Siblings, school attended, church etc & better still and definite dates?

The Crane story is correct by the way.... just a quick comment on “some locals were not too happy”  well you will no doubt be aware that half the street were not happy and the other half were very happy. 🤐🤐🤐🤐🙄🙄🤫🤫

Spudz

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »
Bread Basket, the person I was looking for was not a local, he lived in the docks area for maybe a couple of years only then went back to England, but thanks for putting in the effort.