Author Topic: Australia Day - How To Cook The Perfect Sausage  (Read 3663 times)

Bigali

Re: Australia Day - How To Cook The Perfect Sausage
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »

BIGALI, what is an Aran Victor. ?

Itís  proper name is Aran Victory potato  , it has a purple /blue skin and was popular as a boiling  potato when I was a kid in the sixties and seventies here in NI , nice flavour and was especially popular at spud gathering time when the farmers wives would have had a big pot of broth and spuds on the go to feed the spud  gatherers. A big bowl would have been placed in front of each at the big scrubbed pine table with a couple of steaming Aran Victors in it and then the bowl would have been filled with shin broth , great packing ! Unfortunately I havenít seen an Aran Victor for years .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

pete57

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »

Are them bleedin fires out yet?

I hope so , i heard they all run around naked in Australia.. not a time for your sausages to be out .   :o

moorsy

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
Itís  proper name is Aran Victory potato  , it has a purple /blue skin and was popular as a boiling  potato when I was a kid in the sixties and seventies here in NI , nice flavour and was especially popular at spud gathering time when the farmers wives would have had a big pot of broth and spuds on the go to feed the spud  gatherers. A big bowl would have been placed in front of each at the big scrubbed pine table with a couple of steaming Aran Victors in it and then the bowl would have been filled with shin broth , great packing ! Unfortunately I havenít seen an Aran Victor for years .

Thanks for that,my mouths watering. When I was a button the country schools closed for the potato gathering.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

JohnKelly

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 07:20:46 AM »
Hi John,  what are these " Kranskys " he sells.

Wouldn't have a clue mate, I did a Google and here you go,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carniolan_sausage

I've tried Rob's Scottish Black Pudding and Rob's Irish Black Pudding plus his Scottish Sausage,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage

The only thing I couldn't handle was the Haggis.

Roadracer

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
I have sampled quite a few Kransky's in Oz. They are quite fatty and strong in garlic, similar to Salami. I buy them occasionally usually the cheese one's.

moorsy

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
I have sampled quite a few Kransky's in Oz. They are quite fatty and strong in garlic, similar to Salami. I buy them occasionally usually the cheese one's.

O.K.  i know what it is now. Very familiar with Klobasa type sausages over here. different types are sold, polish and ukrainian. cheers.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

jillyfred

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
We have a restaurant run by a lady from Yorkshire and we can get a lovely fish and chips with Sticky Toffee Pudding and either Old Speckled Han or Innis & Gunn beers.
==
Spent a lot of time in Yorkshire over the years Moorsy.
Their food is really good.
They have great Pork Butchers Shops.
Apparently we had them in Belfast before WW2-my Mother used to say how much she missed them.

jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »
==
I remember that Ali!!!   In the 1950`s!!!

When I was a child in Winter it was only `the blues`and then the `whites`in Summer.The Comber and the Cyprus.

Also,when `dinner`was at `lunchtime` there was a big dish of potatoes in their skins in the centre of the table
and you took some and peeled them onto a side plate.
There was always extra boiled and these were used to make the potato bread after the meal.
It was always `tea`at night-High Tea.A hot dish /salad and then all the different breads,jams,buns and cakes.
All homemade.Fruit and veg all homegrown.
Then a good supper about 9 pm!!!
Great memories!

jilly

Dot/dash

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »

if the whole potatoes were in ths centre of the broth filled bowls     ..     how was  it eaten?      ..    spoon/fork ?     

I'm here a wondering how I'd eat it    ::)
love me          love my gelding     

Bigali

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
==
I remember that Ali!!!   In the 1950`s!!!

When I was a child in Winter it was only `the blues`and then the `whites`in Summer.The Comber and the Cyprus.

Also,when `dinner`was at `lunchtime` there was a big dish of potatoes in their skins in the centre of the table
and you took some and peeled them onto a side plate.
There was always extra boiled and these were used to make the potato bread after the meal.
It was always `tea`at night-High Tea.A hot dish /salad and then all the different breads,jams,buns and cakes.
All homemade.Fruit and veg all homegrown.
Then a good supper about 9 pm!!!
Great memories!

jilly

That made me smile Jilly , I remember the big heavy porcelain crock in the middle of the table full of blues or Kerrs Pinks and then stabbing one with a fork and peeling it carefully onto the side plate so that it didnít fall apart , big ďballs of flourĒ that were delicious with a meal or on their own with a big knob of proper creamery butter ! And yes all the veg we ate were grown by my Dad , carrots , onions, turnip , cabbage , peas , broad beans and in the summer scallions , lettuce , radishes , tomatoes in the greenhouse , the only veg he didnít grow was potatoes because he always said that he hadnít enough room to make it worth his while so Mum bought two one hundredweight bags at a time from the farm half a mile up the road , we ate a serious amount of spuds in our house !
 :D     :nyam:

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Bigali

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
if the whole potatoes were in ths centre of the broth filled bowls     ..     how was  it eaten?      ..    spoon/fork ?     

I'm here a wondering how I'd eat it    ::)

You ate it with a spoon , you just cut off a piece of the spud with the edge of the spoon and then you had a spoonful of broth with a bit of potato in it , delicious !

McNamee

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 10:04:50 PM »
It was eaten with a spoon, you just sliced the spud with the spoon you were taking your soup with....

Bigali

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:33 PM »
It was eaten with a spoon, you just sliced the spud with the spoon you were taking your soup with....

Hi Bernie , great to see you , hope all good with you !  :-*

Dot/dash

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »

slice a potato with a spoon   :D
love me          love my gelding     

James James