Author Topic: Professional BEGGING  (Read 4040 times)

CMcG

Re: Professional BEGGING
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
Professional beggars exist because folk give them lots and lots of money, the minute it becomes unprofitable, they will disappear, simple.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Bread Basket

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »
During the very cold period of “the beast from the east” I went shopping in my local supermarket one day. There was a guy sitting alongside the trolleys wrapped up in a dirty old duvet and a plastic cup in front of him on the ground. The guy was not speaking to passers by, he just stared at the wet ground, motionless, it was a very sad sight and i’m Sure you get the picture.
15 minutes later I returned with my shopping and a steaming hot whole chicken which I bought for him from the hot food counter. Bending down and handing the chicken to him I said, “here you are mate this will warm you up”. He didn’t even look at me but spoke and said, “l’m vegetarian”

😳😳😳😳

syriana

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 10:18:29 AM »
I'am sorry but I'am in Belfast city centre almost every day and I have witnessed police officers standing and having a yarn and a laugh with these beggars and druggies and walking away, I do honestly believe the police are under orders to turn a blind eye to this menace that is blighting the city centre, they know if they take action against them the snowflake charities would come down on them, just like they did when the council removed those seats at the wee park at the Albert clock to stop the street drinkers from meeting there, it finished up having to replace them, and yes the street drinkers have taken them over, it really is getting out of hand now in the city centre, something is going to have to be done...and soon!!!

I only go into Belfast for lunch with friends about two or three times a month so I stand corrected.  I used to work out of Bedford House before I retired over ten years ago - there appeared to be more respect for the Police back then.  A couple of weeks ago when I was parking in the little car park in James Street (off Bedford Street) at around noon.  I noticed two scruffy women sitting on the car park wall in full view of passers by blowing into a plastic bag.  I was transfixed and confused - I lead a sheltered life - another car park customer informed me that they were inhaling glue. 

Most people possess smart phones with cameras and have instant access to social media.  This is probably part of the reason why the Police are reluctant to stamp out anti-social behaviour - poisonous political correctness has also contributed to their reluctance to deal with these people more forcibly. 
No answer is an answer.

johnnymac

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
There is a young woman who is often seen begging near the city centre of Belfast. Her favourite spot is at the side of Castlecourt. I was told that she goes home at the weekend to have a bath and gather some clean clothes and then it's off to the streets on Monday. It's not unusual to see the beggars taking out their mobile phones whenever they think no one is looking. Saddest of all is the old lady from eastern Europe who is dropped off to beg at St Georges's market.

tours

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »
There is a young woman who is often seen begging near the city centre of Belfast. Her favourite spot is at the side of Castlecourt. I was told that she goes home at the weekend to have a bath and gather some clean clothes and then it's off to the streets on Monday. It's not unusual to see the beggars taking out their mobile phones whenever they think no one is looking. Saddest of all is the old lady from eastern Europe who is dropped off to beg at St Georges's market.
More negative comments.
Im sure many of them are at it, so to speak.
But what a way of earning money.
Then again, there are those in deep need.
Hence the Welcome Centre and  soup kitchen at St.Patricks. Also the great work carried out by the Salvation Army at Dunbar Link and beside St.Georges Market, also the seamans mission in corporation st.
I wonder what the volunteers who work tirelessly for those in need, week in week out, would think of some of the comments on here??? 🙄
Ivory towers and all that.
So easy to jump on the bandwagon, in castigating anybody or anything, when following the crowd.
How sad and weak.
Better to be charitable in this instance, at least.

jillyfred

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
Professional beggars exist because folk give them lots and lots of money, the minute it becomes unprofitable, they will disappear, simple.

====
A common sense post as always CMcG.

jilly

JackM

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »

Time to `disappear` these `professional beggars`.   >:(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »
More negative comments.
Hence the Welcome Centre and  soup kitchen at St.Patricks. Also the great work carried out by the Salvation Army at Dunbar Link and beside St.Georges Market, also the seamans mission in corporation st.
I wonder what the volunteers who work tirelessly for those in need, week in week out, would think of some of the comments on here??? 🙄
So easy to jump on the bandwagon, in castigating anybody or anything, when following the crowd.
How sad and weak.

Nuts.
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

MargaretS

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »
More negative comments.
How sad and weak.

Blessed are the charitable
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

jillyfred

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
`Charity begins at home`!!!
Our `own`are well served by the legitimate Charity Organisations within the U.K.and Ireland.
We all are well aware of who they are and most of us give contributions to them.

It `beggers`belief that these `professionals`have the audacity to run a `business`on the streets of
all towns and cities.

They should be arrested,their luxury vehicles confiscated ,and they and their coherts deported back to
where they originated from.

IMHO as always.

jilly

CMcG

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »
As usual, there is more than a little mischief-making going on here ... and that's putting it kindly. This topic is entitled Professional BEGGING.  That word 'Professional' is as plain as the nose on your face.  It's a prevalent phenomenon.  ::)

So spare us the holier than thou oneupmanship comments about 'Ivory towers' and being 'charitable', for you don't fool anyone by misinterpreting the topic.  And you do no-one a favour by cheap point scoring.

There is a broad church of opinion within those who volunteer to support the needy, but I know I'm not alone in believing that handing money to any beggars, regardless of their circumstances, is simply not productive... it very often locks them into their life of addiction.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

syriana

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
As usual, there is more than a little mischief-making going on here ... and that's putting it kindly. This topic is entitled Professional BEGGING.  That word 'Professional' is as plain as the nose on your face.  It's a prevalent phenomenon.  ::)

So spare us the holier than thou oneupmanship comments about 'Ivory towers' and being 'charitable', for you don't fool anyone by misinterpreting the topic.  And you do no-one a favour by cheap point scoring.

Syriana

Yes, they are boringly predictable - it's a waste of time acknowledging their posts. 

Genuine people in need must be feeling the effect of these well organised professional beggars in Central Belfast.  If you really want to help genuine local people in need it's probably safer to give to The Salvation Army - they do some sterling work in Belfast.
No answer is an answer.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
Many years ago when i was a taxi driver in Belfast there was a beggar who sat between botanic railway station and the empire.Whilst sitting outside the depot i seen countless people particularly old folk drop money in his hat
At the end of the night he got a taxi home to his big house a new development round about the Annadale embankment !

syriana

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »
I read somewhere that sellers of 'The Big Issue' are about to be equipped with a facility for contactless payments.  It got me to thinking that if one felt compelled to donate to professional beggars - monthly Direct Debit payments could be arranged.  You would have the additional satisfaction of knowing that you would be saving the professional beggars concerned the inconvenience of travelling into Central Belfast and - those minibuses don't run on air - you would also be saving them petrol money.
No answer is an answer.

Billy Fish

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
Time to `disappear` these `professional beggars`.   >:D

Hear hear, well said Jack.  O0
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.