Author Topic: Obituary help  (Read 361 times)

Geraldine1234

Obituary help
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:59:47 PM »
Hi I'm trying to get more information about my great uncle Henry Quinn. Possible last address 10 Mulhouse Street (1951 Lennon/Wylie)
He married Elizabeth Kerr  February 1906 (mixed marriage)
GRONI search suggest Henry Quinn d. 11/2/1953 aged 71
I cannot see any relevant records on the Belfast City Council website (burials)
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated

Geraldine

James James

Re: Obituary help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Those records are burials.  Possibly a cremation. ?

Elwyn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
Geraldine,

The Belfast City council website doesn’t have all their graveyards on it.  Many Catholics were buried in Milltown, and their records are not on it. I think you can ring Milltown and check. If I understand correctly, they’ll tell you if they have a grave for no charge but if you want to know where it is and who else is in there, there’s a fee to pay.
I searched for a death notice on a newspaper search site but without success.

Elwyn

Elwyn

Geraldine1234

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to check Elwyn. Henry was CoI, his wife Elizabeth was RC. The trail for Henry and Elizabeth went cold in 1918 when their youngest child Annie died. I just found the Mulhouse Street (1951) connection very recently and may be clutching at straws. Back to the drawing board lol
Geraldine

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:40:35 PM »
While I can't see any follow-on notice in the Belfast Telegraph (as indicated), at least the following confirms his wife's forename:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Geraldine1234

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:01:45 AM »
Many thanks again CMcG. Henry is the brother of William James Quinn who you researched for me. I'm now trying to see if I can find any information about his siblings.
Geraldine

Geraldine1234

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 12:44:00 AM »
May have found a possible date regarding the passing of Elizabeth Quinn
1st February 1956. I believe she would have been still living in Mulhouse
Is there an obituary notice which could perhaps confirm this?
As always, thank you.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »
I couldn't see a death notice in the Belfast Tele, NewsLetter or Northern Whig and I don't have access to the Irish News for that era, however the following 'Thanks' notice appeared in the Belfast Tele on 14 February, so the 1 February death is probably her:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Geraldine1234

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Thanks again CMcG. As I said before you found records for my father William James Quinn, his parents James Quinn and Margaret Ferris and his many siblings. I have found records for a few or their marriages and children.  Others seem to have no trail at all.
I have been using free acces to genealogy sites but think I will have to choose and subscribe to one. As suggested previously Elizabeth and Henry may be buried in Milltown/Hannahstown. I know when their daughter Annie died in 1918 there were no records for her on the Belfast City Council website either. I just assumed as it was a mixed marriage and they were married in the Albert Hall that Elizabeth had converted.