Author Topic: Searching for McFarlane /Brown family  (Read 184 times)

Keilly43

Searching for McFarlane /Brown family
« on: January 30, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
Hi members, I'm trying to locate living ancestors. My maternal great grandparents family. The McFarlane's lived in Belfast and seemed to have a long family link to Norwood Street. There was a James, John/Jchon, Jessie, William a baby boy Hartley that died in infancy also a another Jessie that also died in infancy 😞. James McFarlane was married to an Elizabeth McFarlane nee Chalmers. She passed away in 1907 due to suicide 😞. They had lived in fortingale st, Norwood Street number 28 and also number 2. My great grandfather was William McFarlane, he married a Florence Brown. Daughter of John James Brown and Margaret brown nee Donnelly. She had siblings Hugh, Margaret, Eliza. Her father John James Brown was born in Armagh. Florence had 8 children with William McFarlane and moved over to England for work. William McFarlane died after moving with his family to England after a very tragic accident at work involving a crane he was painting. He was crushed leaving Florence a widower with 8 children. 1 of this children was my grandad Ronald McFarlane who was only 2 years old 😞. His mum Florence never spoke about family back hom on Ireland. He had/has lots of unanswered questions. I've answered some IE grandparents and aunt's and uncles names for him. He would love to be able to see pictures of his family, as he has none. He's in his 80's . And always thought about and wondered why nobody mentioned his family in Ireland to him? His mum would kinda shut the conversation down. Busy with 8 kid's and more on the way. She re married and had another 3 children. They must have moved over to England in or around 1930 ish as William died in 1939. I know that the address on Florence and William marriage licence says Vistula st for Florence and Norwood Street for William. I also know that on the 1911or 1901 census the brown family were living in Fairfax street. Anybody able to help me please 🤞🙏🤞🙏

Elwyn

Re: Searching for McFarlane /Brown family
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
Hereís William in 1901 & 1911. Note that the father James and mother Elizabeth were born in Scotland, c 1857/1859, so if tracing the family back you will need to search there. (They married in Greenock in 1883).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Court_Ward/Fortingale_Street/964700/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Norwood_Street/156112/

I found some marriages for James & Elizabethís children.
Ann Jane married Ernest Gordon Jones on 27.8.1917 at Grosvenor Hall, Methodist. He was a soldier, aged 25.
James married Agnes Rock 16.9.1907 Trinity Church of Ireland. This looks to be them in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Warwick_Street/150152/
James is shown as born in Belfast in the 1911 whereas the 1901 census says Scotland. Their 2 children Robert and John were born 6.6.1908 & 19.9.1909 respectively plus there was a daughter Annie who was born 8.12.1910 in Belfast and died 10.2.1911.

John McFarlane married Elizabeth Knox 12.7.1911 St Anneís Cathedral (Church of Ireland).

Elwyn

Keilly43

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. I'm wondering if James McFarlane and Elizabeth McFarlane nee Chalmers have any great great grandchildren still living? Or any of William McFarlane and Florence McFarlane nee Brown have any neices or nephews still living 😞. I know some name's are repeated in families like Margaret brown and Jessie McFarlane James McFarlane ect. How would I go looking for living relative's? 🙈XxX

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
     Finding living descendants can be difficult, especially if the names are common, eg Jones. And thereís no guarantee that they necessarily remained in Ireland, let alone Belfast. Both world wars scattered and killed a few people too. I note that Ernest Jones was a soldier. He could have been posted anywhere. (He may not have been from Ireland at all, and so Agnes may have gone with him wherever he originated or was posted).

You could try contacting all the McFarlane/McFarlands in the Belfast phone book but thatís a lot of names and not many people respond positively to that sort of unexpected letter.

I did a little more digging for you and found that James McFarlane died 5.7.1940 and is buried in the City Cemetery (Glenalina extension). Grave S1 456. Address 8 Norwood St. Also buried there are Jessie McFarland who died 5.4.1971 aged 75 and George McFarlane who died 13.10.1979 aged 67.

Jessieís last address was 38 Norwood St, and Georgeís was 11 Waveney Park.

So you could see who the informants were for those deaths. (Might be a relative). Jamesí death certificate is on-line on the GRONI site. You can view it for £2.50. For deaths from 1970 onwards you need to order them from GRONI, unless you can get into GRONI or PRONI in person. £2.50 a time to view them, if you can.

The other thing you could do in PRONI is see if Jessie or George left wills. The will calendars post 1966 are not on-line. They are in paper format (1 book for each year) and are free to search. They are indexed by probate date, not date of death. Probate can be several years after the death, and so if you donít find a grant in the year of death try the following 5 years. If they do have probate files, they should be in PRONI and the staff will show you how to order them. Those should give you leads on descendants who were alive in the 1970s.

Probate grants for 1940 are on-line. I checked those and did not find one for James. So he either didnít leave a will or it wasnít one that required a probate grant.

It looks as though Jessie didnít marry, but George may have married. (His death certificate will tell you). Itís easy enough to search for any marriage if it was in Northern Ireland and also for the births of any children to that couple. Marriages up to 1945 are on-line anywhere, but births within the past 100 years are not, and so again you need to be in PRONI or GRONI to search for them.

Have you searched on Ancestry to see if anyone has posted these people there?  You might find living descendants from that, or at least find out where and when some of them died.

If you canít get to PRONI yourself, you probably need to employ a researcher. Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

Elwyn