Author Topic: Vulcanite  (Read 525 times)

Maggie H

Vulcanite
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:25:43 PM »
Hi

My mother worked at Vulcanite (somewhere near the embankment?)  around 1940 to maybe 1955. She said her cousin also worked there, a man called Norman Henry. I would like to find out a bit more about this company and are there any old records? I would like to make contact with any of Norman's descendents if that is possible.

Bread Basket

Re: Vulcanite
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:53:28 AM »
A few pics to help you on your way

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
Hi

My mother worked at Vulcanite (somewhere near the embankment?)  around 1940 to maybe 1955. She said her cousin also worked there, a man called Norman Henry. I would like to find out a bit more about this company and are there any old records? I would like to make contact with any of Norman's descendents if that is possible.

Hi Maggie, in order to help you it would be beneficial if you were to supply some further information on Norman and his family. Where did he live, was he married and to whom, any children, any dates of births deaths or marriages etc. The more you can supply the better chance you stand to gain the information on your family.

Elwyn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
Hi

I would like to find out a bit more about this company and are there any old records?

If you search the PRONI e-catalogue, using the criterion ”Vulcanite” you should get 14 results, all of which are assorted files relating to the company. The files themselves are not on-line and you would need to go into PRONI in person to view them but the index should give you an idea of the type of information they contain.

Elwyn

Maggie H

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »
Many thanks for your help Elwyn and BreadBasket
It is great to see the documents about Vulcanite

Just today I found a list of people who received a pitman certificate in 1939 in the 'belfast newsletter' and my mother (Phyllis Millington) was listed. This must have been around the time she went to work in Vulcanite

I have searched the irish civil records and census and can only find Norman Henry's family in Lone Moor Rd Londonderry in nineteen eleven. He was only 4. I cannot find a marraige so have stonewalled.

Elwyn

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 09:56:26 PM »
     The only marriages in NI I can see for Norman Henry in the likely period are on 10.7.1931 in Newtownabbey to Dorothy Darragh and on 6.3.1943 in Belfast to Ida Craig. You might want t look at those on the GRONI site to see if either is your man.

Elwyn

Maggie H

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »
Great  - Ill try that
Could not find in Irish Civil records so this might be fruitful

M

Elwyn

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »
Northern Ireland records on irishgenealogy only go up to 31.12.1921. After that you mostly need to use GRONI. (There are some exceptions. Familysearch& rootsireland have some NI records up to the mid 1920s but after that it fizzles out).
Elwyn

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »
Someone called Norman S. Henry was listed as one of the directors of Vulcanite Ltd. in the 1960s.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »

Someone called Norman S. Henry was listed as one of the directors of Vulcanite Ltd. in the 1960s.

Eg.

1960:

1961:

1965:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 03:26:18 AM »
This is purely speculative, but I'll mention it in case it triggers anything...

There are references in newspapers and phone books right up to the early 1980s to indicate that a Norman S. Henry was living at 34 Belvedere Park in Stranmillis, he had a long association with St. Thomas' Church of Ireland on Eglantine Avenue, a Stephen Philip Henry was also living at 34 Belvedere Park in 1970, his then age would place birth year c. 1947, so maybe a son of the aforesaid Norman S. Henry.

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 03:50:58 AM »

This is purely speculative, but I'll mention it in case it triggers anything...

There are references in newspapers and phone books right up to the early 1980s to indicate that a Norman S. Henry was living at 34 Belvedere Park in Stranmillis, he had a long association with St. Thomas' Church of Ireland on Eglantine Avenue, a Stephen Philip Henry was also living at 34 Belvedere Park in 1970, his then age would place birth year c. 1947, so maybe a son of the aforesaid Norman S. Henry.

And pursuing this speculative line further, I'm pretty sure that there is a typo in the following 1966 notice and that it should say Mr. and Mrs. N. S. Henry:

CMcG

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 04:21:44 AM »

And pursuing this speculative line further, I'm pretty sure that there is a typo in the following 1966 notice and that it should say Mr. and Mrs. N. S. Henry:

And taking it yet further, if you type "duncan scarlett" and "belfast" (ie. quotes and all) into google, a number of hits will come back, including phone and email contact details, for someone I suspect just might be the same William Duncan Scarlett who married Sheila Margaret Henry in 1966, he is a retired headmaster and has associations with the Church of Ireland (including St. Thomas' Parish Church) and an interest in history and genealogy, and one of the references coming back says that 'Mr Scarlett, who is married to Sheila and has two sons, Gavin and Keith...'.

I know it's a long shot, but if willing to engage, I imagine he could readily eliminate this whole line of speculation regarding his father-in-law if it is incorrect (or indeed rule it in if correct).