Author Topic: McROBERTS  (Read 215 times)

PAFairfield

McROBERTS
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:40:31 AM »
I am looking for living descendants of Richard McRoberts born July 12 1910 in Belfast to John & Margaret Amelia McRoberts. Father, John McRoberts died of TB when Richard was about 8m old. After living with Margaret Amelia's family for a while the widow and her toddler son seems to have vanished from online records.

Can anyone help me find what happened to the mother and son?

CMcG

Re: McROBERTS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
Probably headed Co. Armagh direction, for there is a reasonable candidate for Richard in terms of age and father in a marriage at Lurgan Registrar's Office on 20 June 1938 between a 27 year old Richard McRoberts of Lurgan and 22 year old Eileen Hunniford of Portadown, parents given as John McRoberts and John Hunniford.  Then this:

A sales notice in June 1966 shows an R. McRoberts still at that address (37 Victoria Terrace).

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
Left side, second photo down, given the name and street, a possible descendent:

https://portadownphotos.co.uk/David%20Webb%20Photos%20P2.htm

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »

Left side, second photo down, given the name and street, a possible descendent:

https://portadownphotos.co.uk/David%20Webb%20Photos%20P2.htm

BTW, according to newspaper ads, cinema showings of 'Roman Holiday' in Portadown were in 1954. You can take your own guess at the age of the boy in the photo, but given that Richard McRoberts married Eileen Hunniford in 1938, I imagine you can see where I'm going with this.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »

BTW, according to newspaper ads, cinema showings of 'Roman Holiday' in Portadown were in 1954. You can take your own guess at the age of the boy in the photo, but given that Richard McRoberts married Eileen Hunniford in 1938, I imagine you can see where I'm going with this.

Hmmm, it was going so well (see below)... But my logic doesn't seem to work, unless 'Roman Holiday' was also shown in Portadown some years later, for the boy in the photo is definitely older than 8...

Anyhow, jumping into the realm of pure speculation, another lead to chase up is a Richard McRoberts born in 1986 who is a Director of a company called Crossbows Optical Limited based in Portadown, you can google it yourself, given the Richard McRoberts born in 1946, it's an possibility for a son, but this is pretty flimsy stuff. At least worth eliminating?

PAFairfield

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
Oh Thank you ever so much.
The Mary Elizabeth Fairfield mentioned in the obituary is my husbands Gt Grandmother.

This was all brand new information and I am so very thankful.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:59:04 PM »
You're welcome, I wouldn't be surprised if descendents are still in the Portadown area, maybe someone reading this  topic might recognise something...

PAFairfield

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
Would you by any chance happen to know if the "Lurgan Portadown District Hospital" was in the same location of the current hospital. I guess I'm asking for my records did she die in Lurgan or another town.
I like to be exact in my locations to the time period of event.

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »

Would you by any chance happen to know if the "Lurgan Portadown District Hospital" was in the same location of the current hospital. I guess I'm asking for my records did she die in Lurgan or another town.
I like to be exact in my locations to the time period of event.

To be clear, the death notice for Margaret McRoberts simply said 'at hospital', which can mean anywhere, in the event, Margaret McRoberts died in St. Luke's Hospital off the Loughgall Road in (today) Armagh City:

http://www.southerntrust.hscni.net/about/1866.htm

The reference to 'Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital' was in relation to the 1946 birth of Richard John McRoberts, which means Lurgan Hospital (ie. the former Lurgan workhouse):

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lurgan/