Author Topic: Did anyone go to / hear about the Pop for Peace concert in 1969?  (Read 383 times)

hoilerosie

Did anyone go to / hear about the Pop for Peace concert in 1969?
« on: February 06, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
Hi all--I'm a student journalist researching for a piece and I was wondering if there was anyone here who attended the Pop for Peace concert in Minnowburn? I'd love to get some first-hand memories of it!
Additionally, I'm trying to contact Colin McClellan and Sammy Smyth (two of the organisers) and Father Marcellus but can't seem to find them, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be lovely!

allymac

Re: Did anyone go to / hear about the Pop for Peace concert in 1969?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
If thats the "blonde bombshell"Fr marcellus you are looking for,try around the prison system or the old gigilos home.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

bjay

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
Marmalade played I recall ,as did Joe Dolan and local band Deep Joy. John and Yoko could not make it as she was having a difficult pregnancy, but send a telegram wishing the evnt every success.
Colin MClelland posted on the Forum several years ago. Fr Marcellus married I believe and moved to England.

James James

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
"A non-political and non-sectarian event, Pop For Peace had the full support of the National Trust committee, who agreed to host the event."

"Organised by a priest (Father Tony Marcellus), a music journalist (Donal Corvin), two nightclub promotors (Sam Smyth, Colin McClelland) and a politician (Paddy Devlin); the line-up included a range of acts including the Tremeloes, the Marmalade, Joe Dolan and the Drifters   to name but a few."

"Invited but unable to attend, John Lennon showed his support for the concert by sending a telegram to the organisers which read All we are saying is give peace a chance, love John and Yoko. "

https://lovebelfast.co.uk/minnowburn-pop-for-peace/