Author Topic: D N A tests  (Read 704 times)

poacher

D N A tests
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:31 AM »
Got an Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas are they worth doing and what results should i expect?

Paula mc

Re: D N A tests
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »
Hi poacher

Yes get it done ASAP my results were through in 4 weeks,then ancestry match you up
With everyone you share Dna with from all over the world.
From 1st cousins to 8th it also shows how much Dna you share with each one and where they live know it is fantastic.
[size=78%]
[/size]
Happy searching

Paula

Tipperdarby

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
Got an Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas are they worth doing and what results should i expect?

Go for it Poacher. Getting my DNA tested has changed my life! I was never one for hobbies. .now Genealogy has me hooked. .I am obsessed by it all. I love getting new matches and trying to figure out how we are related. Do be aware though that you have to be prepared for surprises or maybe even shocks. Some people discover half siblings they didn’t know about etc.
I grew up as Eileen O’Neill as did my Dad and his siblings. I have discovered my Paternal Granda was born to a Rose Kelly and Hugh Campbell. .that was a shock of a serious nature! It made me unpopular with some of my family when that came out! I am still trying to sort out the puzzle  
When you get your results you think “How can I possibly be related to all those people?”
If you do decide to go for it I would suggest starting a family tree on Ancestry, it doesn’t have to be extensive but always use maiden names for females ....that will avoid confusion later.
Best of luck
Eileen

poacher

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
Thankyou both
I am posting it on monday come what may

fionna_b

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:14:55 AM »
I'm getting it soon as well. Which company do you recommend? Is MyHeritage any good?  ???

Paula mc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Hi Fiona I used ancestry.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm getting it soon as well. Which company do you recommend? Is MyHeritage any good?  ???
Fionna,
I would suggest Ancestry...once you get your results you can upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch There is a one time small fee for My Heritage and FTDNA to unlock all the tools that will help you sort out matches. If you test with any other company you cannot upload your raw DNA to Ancestry.

Eileen

AntG

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Fionna,
I would suggest Ancestry...once you get your results you can upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch There is a one time small fee for My Heritage and FTDNA to unlock all the tools that will help you sort out matches. If you test with any other company you cannot upload your raw DNA to Ancestry.

Eileen

I fully agree! It is most cost efficient testing with Ancestry and then uploading elsewhere. AncestryDNA have the largest database. Look out for sales on AncestryDNA kits, either from Ancestry direct, or on Amazon.

poacher

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »
I have just found out that Henry the Vlll
Is 32 degrees from me could anybody explain what this means

Tipperdarby

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »
I have just found out that Henry the Vlll
Is 32 degrees from me could anybody explain what this means

This link might put it in perspective for you Poacher. .it is at least a fun thing to read. .I can’t get past my Paternal Grandfather never mind go umpteen generations back :P

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/01/your-family-past-present-and-future.html

Eileen

deke

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »

Just got my results back from Ancestry DNA and I must say I'm disappointed, matches were 3 X 2nd Cousins from my Mothers side , 7 X 3rd Cousins and hundreds of 4th Cousins.    I was thinking it was going to be some sort of magic maybe but sadly not.    The bottom line is that you will only see matches from other family members that have submitted DNA.    Hope this helps.
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »
Just got my results back from Ancestry DNA and I must say I'm disappointed, matches were 3 X 2nd Cousins from my Mothers side , 7 X 3rd Cousins and hundreds of 4th Cousins.    I was thinking it was going to be some sort of magic maybe but sadly not.    The bottom line is that you will only see matches from other family members that have submitted DNA.    Hope this helps.

Hang in there Deke,
I was very disappointed when I first got my results also. Are there any family members on your Father's side that you can persuade to get tested? If you have any siblings it is a huge help if they are tested too. DNA is random and a sibling may have matches that you don't and vice versa. I manage my sister's account and I  have about 150 more matches than she does but she still has some that I don't. In some cases I get a match estimated as a 4th cousin but my sister shares a lot more DNA with that person than I do and they end up as a 3rd cousin or even 2nd cousin once removed.

You can now upload your raw DNA from Ancestry to Gedmatch which might help you find matches from other companies. You can do the same thing to MyHeritage and FTDNA. Gedmatch is free but to get the most out of the other 2 companies you would be best to pay a onetime fee then you have way more access. FTDNA is $19USD and MyHeritage is $39USD. I was lucky enough to upload a few years ago when it was free. I haven't paid the fees for my sister yet so I find it not that helpful until I do that.....this is not a cheap hobby!
Here is a very handy tool to try to figure out relationships

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Good luck
Eileen

deke

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 09:38:38 PM »
Hang in there Deke,
I was very disappointed when I first got my results also. Are there any family members on your Father's side that you can persuade to get tested? If you have any siblings it is a huge help if they are tested too. DNA is random and a sibling may have matches that you don't and vice versa. I manage my sister's account and I  have about 150 more matches than she does but she still has some that I don't. In some cases I get a match estimated as a 4th cousin but my sister shares a lot more DNA with that person than I do and they end up as a 3rd cousin or even 2nd cousin once removed.

You can now upload your raw DNA from Ancestry to Gedmatch which might help you find matches from other companies. You can do the same thing to MyHeritage and FTDNA. Gedmatch is free but to get the most out of the other 2 companies you would be best to pay a onetime fee then you have way more access. FTDNA is $19USD and MyHeritage is $39USD. I was lucky enough to upload a few years ago when it was free. I haven't paid the fees for my sister yet so I find it not that helpful until I do that.....this is not a cheap hobby!
Here is a very handy tool to try to figure out relationships

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Good luck
Eileen

Thank You Eileen I do appreciate your advice.    I was going to upload my raw data to Gedmatch until I read that they allow Law enforcement to search their dna database without a warrant along with a lot of other third parties.       I have nothing to hide but don't like the fact that it is open like that, I read some stories of the FBI knocking on peoples doors because some distant cousin had committed a crime.    I also read that our dna databases are already in the hands of the Chinese and Russians.       So if you are leery at all the safest bet is not to give your dna to anyone.    Maybe I'm being a little bit paranoid.
Take care    Deke

Tipperdarby

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:10 PM »
Thank You Eileen I do appreciate your advice.    I was going to upload my raw data to Gedmatch until I read that they allow Law enforcement to search their dna database without a warrant along with a lot of other third parties.       I have nothing to hide but don't like the fact that it is open like that, I read some stories of the FBI knocking on peoples doors because some distant cousin had committed a crime.    I also read that our dna databases are already in the hands of the Chinese and Russians.       So if you are leery at all the safest bet is not to give your dna to anyone.    Maybe I'm being a little bit paranoid.
Take care    Deke
You choose to opt in or out to Law Enforcement on Gedmatch Deke. There is a video on the site explaining all about it ...
Eileen

deke

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:23 PM »
You choose to opt in or out to Law Enforcement on Gedmatch Deke. There is a video on the site explaining all about it ...
Eileen
Thanks Eileen   I'll check it out, maybe go for the opt out option.Deke