Author Topic: D N A tests  (Read 368 times)

poacher

D N A tests
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:31 AM »
Got an Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas are they worth doing and what results should i expect?

Paula mc

Re: D N A tests
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »
Hi poacher

Yes get it done ASAP my results were through in 4 weeks,then ancestry match you up
With everyone you share Dna with from all over the world.
From 1st cousins to 8th it also shows how much Dna you share with each one and where they live know it is fantastic.
[size=78%]
[/size]
Happy searching

Paula

Tipperdarby

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
Got an Ancestory DNA kit for Christmas are they worth doing and what results should i expect?

Go for it Poacher. Getting my DNA tested has changed my life! I was never one for hobbies. .now Genealogy has me hooked. .I am obsessed by it all. I love getting new matches and trying to figure out how we are related. Do be aware though that you have to be prepared for surprises or maybe even shocks. Some people discover half siblings they didn’t know about etc.
I grew up as Eileen O’Neill as did my Dad and his siblings. I have discovered my Paternal Granda was born to a Rose Kelly and Hugh Campbell. .that was a shock of a serious nature! It made me unpopular with some of my family when that came out! I am still trying to sort out the puzzle  
When you get your results you think “How can I possibly be related to all those people?”
If you do decide to go for it I would suggest starting a family tree on Ancestry, it doesn’t have to be extensive but always use maiden names for females ....that will avoid confusion later.
Best of luck
Eileen

poacher

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
Thankyou both
I am posting it on monday come what may

fionna_b

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:14:55 AM »
I'm getting it soon as well. Which company do you recommend? Is MyHeritage any good?  ???

Paula mc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Hi Fiona I used ancestry.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm getting it soon as well. Which company do you recommend? Is MyHeritage any good?  ???
Fionna,
I would suggest Ancestry...once you get your results you can upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch There is a one time small fee for My Heritage and FTDNA to unlock all the tools that will help you sort out matches. If you test with any other company you cannot upload your raw DNA to Ancestry.

Eileen

AntG

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Fionna,
I would suggest Ancestry...once you get your results you can upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gedmatch There is a one time small fee for My Heritage and FTDNA to unlock all the tools that will help you sort out matches. If you test with any other company you cannot upload your raw DNA to Ancestry.

Eileen

I fully agree! It is most cost efficient testing with Ancestry and then uploading elsewhere. AncestryDNA have the largest database. Look out for sales on AncestryDNA kits, either from Ancestry direct, or on Amazon.

poacher

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »
I have just found out that Henry the Vlll
Is 32 degrees from me could anybody explain what this means

Tipperdarby

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »
I have just found out that Henry the Vlll
Is 32 degrees from me could anybody explain what this means

This link might put it in perspective for you Poacher. .it is at least a fun thing to read. .I can’t get past my Paternal Grandfather never mind go umpteen generations back :P

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/01/your-family-past-present-and-future.html

Eileen