Author Topic: Lecumpher Street Beersbridge Road 1951 - 1957  (Read 283 times)

Colin Kerr

Lecumpher Street Beersbridge Road 1951 - 1957
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
I was brought up in Lecumpher Street (no 24) 1951 to 1957, went to Elmgrove School, both of which I loved. Now Lecumpher Street all gone of course. I want to write a history of the street and I am looking for all the information that I can find from its first building to demolition. If anyone has any information to share that would be great - especially photographs. And how did Lecumpher Street ever get its name?
An especially fond memory - my first hearing of pop music played loudly by Lorna Aitken ( brother Maxwell) at no 25. Both were older than me and much looked up to! She was playing it outside the door so the music was in the street and it was sunny - Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock I think!
On the other side no 23 was the Cleland family. Communications with neighbours were carried out by tapping the wall and next door would come in to see what was the matter. No doors locked of course.
My dad had a pigeon loft. Many men did and he had conversations in the back entry which was shared with Woodlee Street. Life was very different then.
I would like to cover the entire history of the street from start to finish.
Thanks.
Colin

Bread Basket

Re: Lecumpher Street Beersbridge Road 1951 - 1957
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
Colin I hope this post can point you in the right direction for your research.

There are hundreds of references to Lecumpher St ... a mixture of family notices,... court appearances.... public services works, eg Electric etc.... property for sale.... all sorts of things.
Iíve just scrolled literally hundreds of newspaper articles / snippets etc. All available online with BNA which is britishnewspaperarchives.
It is around £79 per year for full access.  worth thinking about

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:22 PM »
Good hunting

Colin Kerr

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
Thank you Breadbasket. Very helpful indeed. I knew that my grandmother has remarried after the death of my grandfather but did mot know her second married name!
Thanks again.
Colin

Bud

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi there, I grew up on Woodlee street in the 90s but my family lived in the same street all the way back to 1930s,  I remember the fella who had the pigeons in our street aswell. He lived very close to my great uncle Jim.  I hope we can keep this going if I come across any photos, I have a lot of digging to do but if you have any questions or if you knew my family that would be cool. good luck

Colin Kerr

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »
Dear Bud,

Thank you - great that you go back yo the 1930's! Well your family anyway.
I just now realized that I gave incorrect numbers for Lorna Maxwell - the Maxwells were at 26 Leumpher and the Clelands were at 22 Lecumpher.
I can remember my dad talking about Sam McCreight who was also kept pigeons but I do not know if he was the man who lived in Woodlee Street across the back entry. The lofts were above the outside toilets and you went up a ladder to reach the entrance. The insides all kitted out with bird-boxes. I remember being taken into  loft when I was 3 or 4. My dad and the Woodlee Street neighbour would sometimes be out the back (early to mid 1950's) rattling pigeon corn in tin lids to encourage birds to fly down to the loft. Pigeon racing was a big thing.
I wonder if anyone has pictures of the lofts in East Belfast?
Good luck with your digging. We moved in 1957 and that was the end of keeping pigeons. What number were you in Woodlee Street

Bud

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
my great grand parents, my granda and rest of family lived in 28 Woodlee St from 20-30s but my great uncle carried on living there til he passed away in the 90s.  My mum and dad then moved into 14 Woodlee street in the 80s.

Do you remember Ann and Charlie Miller who lived in lecumpher?they have a son called darren