Author Topic: Chimney Corner  (Read 7022 times)

ulsterstan

Chimney Corner
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:13:59 AM »
Some years ago we were up in Blaine,Washington on the Canadian border in a campground and I came across this wee book  ''My lady of Chimney Corner'' anyone ever heard of it,  great story.   
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

Re: Chimney Corner
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:55:55 AM »
It's quite a well known book by Dr Alexander Irvine. It's about his childhood and his mother Anna Gilmore Irvine
The cottage where Alexander and his siblings lived is in Pogue's Entry in High Street, Antrim. 

ulsterstan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:03:57 AM »
Right on Christopher, very good reading.       
Stan Sloan.

Mageeka

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:45:10 AM »
Any connection to the Chimney Corner hotel ?

Keith Campbell

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:26 AM »
There is a connection to the Chimney Corner hotel it was named after the book. The attached photo is of Pogue’s Entry in Antrim Town about 2 miles from my house, its still their today, the cottage on the left is where the writer Alexander Ervine grew up.
today started like any other but then  ...

ulsterstan

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »
Great photo, thanks for that .
Stan Sloan.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:27:37 AM »
Hello Keith, when was this photo taken? Has that area been preserved as of Historical interest. This is the first time I have ever seen the cottage mentioned. One would think it would have been commented on sometime with other interesting areas in Belfast. Do you have any recent photos of the area. Kathleen

Keith Campbell

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »
Hi everyone
Here is some more info on the cottage.
The cottage is preserved in its original state and opened to the public it is maintained by Antrim Borough Council.
To the left in the doorway stands a little girl her name whose name was Ann Mailey Her maiden name was Rosanne McVeagh, Standing behind her is a Mr Guigley, To the right of Ann stands her brothers & Sister, Richard (Jr) Thomas, & Ruby alongside them is their father Richard (Sn). Richard, Thomas & Ann have now passed away but Ruby is living in Florida and has been for the last 50 Years.The photo dates from about 1920.
I have attached 3 photos i took about 2 years ago

Keith Campbell

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »
Inside the cottage

ulsterstan

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »
Brilliant, thanks for sharing .   
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 07:44:42 PM »
Hello Keith, when was this photo taken? Has that area been preserved as of Historical interest. This is the first time I have ever seen the cottage mentioned. One would think it would have been commented on sometime with other interesting areas in Belfast. Do you have any recent photos of the area. Kathleen

Those are great photographs Keith.

Kathleen, Keith mentioned the cottage is maintained by Antrim Borough Council. The cottage is not in Belfast but in Antrim. It is one of several tourist attractions in the town. You can park your car in one of the car parks around the town and walk to most of the historical places in Antrim. If you call at the Tourist Information Office across the road from the cottage someone there will give you a guidebook (there may be a small charge for the book but it's not very much).

Chris

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »
A great big thank you to Keith for sending the photos of "The Chimney Corner" cottage. I still have the wee red book my daddie sent me of Rev. Alexander Irvine's great book. He picked it up one day in Smithfield and thought it a great find. It has always been one of my favorite stories. The man and the family were so humble and so good. God willing when I go home next year I intend to see that wee cottage, which has so much history attached to it. Kathleen
PS I stand corrected Christopher, it was in Antrim town. Why do we from Belfast think everything in Antrim belongs to us ??? LOL

Mageeka

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 04:42:14 AM »
Kate me Girl
I think we ought to arrange a time when we  can all get to B/fast  We will take you the Chimney Corner for dinner. On the way we must stop at one of our favorite pubs "The Crown and Shamrock"
Their motto is:----
If you want a quick pint of Guinness,then please dont stop here ! 
A quick backstep in time

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 05:14:25 AM »
I'm laughing as I write this, ah yes that would indeed be a great day wouldn't it. Why we may even invite the seachanach (sp?) for a pint or maybe two. I thing Sept. or Oct. is a good time. Certainly not the marching season and the Spring well.... we all know about those April showers!!!! downpours is more like it. I have never heard of a bar called The Chimney Corner, we Dominican girls surely lived a sheltered life??? Wonder why we catch up so fast?? ???Slan, Kathleen

Mageeka

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 05:55:22 AM »
Katkleem
Dont worry about a a sheltered  life
Kate,  as you know Margaret was in the Sacred Heart Sisters for a year.
However I soon got her out of the HABIT :)
 May God forgive me for that one !