Author Topic: Shops at top of Oldpark road  (Read 213 times)

DAC

Shops at top of Oldpark road
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
I lived in Silverstream Park in the early 60s and went to the shops at the Oldpark Road. I remember Mc Kibbens the optician O'haras bakery Daphenes wool shop Jims the grocer Mc Master the butcher the Glen chippy and Stewarts, But I think there were other shops in that row, can anyone fill in the blanks please. The reason I ask is I was watching the Back in time for the corner shop program and that brought back memories. Our corner shop was Pop Lennons at the bottom of the street but it was more a news agent and confectonry shop, with a beech nut machine outside which gave two packets if the arrow on the knob was facing you.

Dave

Bread Basket

Re: Shops at top of Oldpark road
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »

Sachs

Re: Shops at top of Oldpark road
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
I lived in Silverstream Park in the early 60s and went to the shops at the Oldpark Road. I remember Mc Kibbens the optician O'haras bakery Daphenes wool shop Jims the grocer Mc Master the butcher the Glen chippy and Stewarts, But I think there were other shops in that row, can anyone fill in the blanks please. The reason I ask is I was watching the Back in time for the corner shop program and that brought back memories. Our corner shop was Pop Lennons at the bottom of the street but it was more a news agent and confectonry shop, with a beech nut machine outside which gave two packets if the arrow on the knob was facing you.

Dave

I definitely remember the name Pop Lennonís.
Was that directly opposite one of the entrances to Ballysillan Playing Fields?
As for the shops over at the Church I canít remember any more details than you have given. Sorry.

I lived in Tedburn then moved to Tyndale from early sixties through to mid seventies.