Author Topic: No preservation status for Barry’s Portrush  (Read 497 times)

Bigali

No preservation status for Barry’s Portrush
« on: February 27, 2020, 04:56:04 PM »

Barry's Amusements: No preservation status for site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51656478

Am I just looking at this through rose tinted glasses or is anyone else astounded that this iconic site will not be afforded protection by Causeway Coast and Glens Council ?

Considering the council is millions in debt I would have thought that preserving Barry’s would be a priority since it draws big crowds to the area from Easter to September who all spend money.

Some of my own earliest childhood memories are of Barrys hobby horses , mini dodgems and the old speedway that used to be just inside the entrance , not to mention the ghost train and the helter skelter.

It will be a shame if the site is bought by some developers and pulled down and a very sad day for the North Coast.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Billy Fish

Re: No preservation status for Barry’s Portrush
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:30:06 PM »

Barry's Amusements: No preservation status for site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51656478

Am I just looking at this through rose tinted glasses or is anyone else astounded that this iconic site will not be afforded protection by Causeway Coast and Glens Council ?

Considering the council is millions in debt I would have thought that preserving Barry’s would be a priority since it draws big crowds to the area from Easter to September who all spend money.

Some of my own earliest childhood memories are of Barrys hobby horses , mini dodgems and the old speedway that used to be just inside the entrance , not to mention the ghost train and the helter skelter.

It will be a shame if the site is bought by some developers and pulled down and a very sad day for the North Coast.

No doubt it did draw the crowds. The Council are on their uppers. Looks destined to become apartments. A shame.  :(
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Roadracer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »
I'm sure if some had their way Barry's original venue at Bellevue would be destined to become apartments.

JackM

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »

A great shame if it is demolished. I thought there was a buyer for it, as a going concern ?   ???
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

stickleback

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

I'm wondering what the local council thinks it is, if Portrush isn't a coastal town dependent on tourism.

Barry's has legendary status in N. Ireland. Admittedly, it's 40 yrs since I was last in Barrys, but I doubt it's all that different for the children of today. As in, a great day out. The North Antrim coastline is a strangely expensive place to buy property and there seems all kinds of property development going on up there, for no particular reason. It's freezing cold most of the year for starters. But if they close down Barry's, how are all the local shops going to make a trade ? Maybe all these property developers are going to advertise in eskimo brochures as a warm winter destination? Sure as hell, the tourism trade will plummet if all the town has to offer is a load of scaffolding and expensive new build flats overlooking empty beaches with windows speckled with rain.

There'll be a few property developers out of pocket as well, but I'll leave it for others to worry about them.

Billy Fish

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »
Seems they are opening again this Easter.  O0
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.