Author Topic: Latitia St, Belfast  (Read 518 times)

Irene53

Latitia St, Belfast
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:19:22 PM »
Looking for any information on the Kane family living on this street (Latitia)  in early 1900ís .can not find any such st name through google maps.   John and Mary Kane, children Lawerence, Patrick, John and Nora.  Believe son John immigrated to the States - not sure of date- and then Lawerence immigrated to the States early 1920 s , brother Patrick immigrated to New York after that.  Nora Kane remained in Belfast. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

CMcG

Re: Latitia St, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:27:03 PM »
Letitia Street was in the Smithfield / Millfield area... but I couldn't see any Kanes listed in contemporary street directories, you can have a look yourself:

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm

The closest match on names that I could find in the 1901 Ireland census was the following family (John Kane, Mary Fitzpatrick & children) in Clovelly Street off the Springfield Road?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls_Ward/Clovelly_Street/979659/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »

... The closest match on names that I could find in the 1901 Ireland census was the following family (John Kane, Mary Fitzpatrick & children) in Clovelly Street off the Springfield Road?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls_Ward/Clovelly_Street/979659/

I think the Nora Kane in the above family may have married a William James Jenkins in 1907. Also, there was another daughter Winifred Kane to this couple born in 1904 who may have gone on to marry a John Corrigan. Does any of that ring a bell or can they be ruled out?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Irene53

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:53:32 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.  The Kane family on Clovelly st is the family Iím researching and 1 document found stated Letitia St but could not seem to find any place for that street name.  Thank you, very new to this research and also using this forum.

Irene53

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »
Yes this is the same family.  Now that you mention the name Winifred marrying a Corrigan and I do recall hearing conversations about that although I have Not been able to find any documentation out that so far.  I weave to dig further.  Thank you!

Irene53

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »
By any chance can you share where you found the information On Winifred Kane and John Corrigan?  Thank you!

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »

Thank you very much for your help.  The Kane family on Clovelly st is the family Iím researching and 1 document found stated Letitia St but could not seem to find any place for that street name.  Thank you, very new to this research and also using this forum.

OK, the marriage of John Kane and Mary Fitzpatrick took place in 1884 in St. Peter's RC Church Belfast, the record is free to view in the following Irish Government website link, the two fathers were given as Patrick Kane, a carpenter, and Bernard Fitzpatrick, a blacksmith:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1884/10888/5977001.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »

By any chance can you share where you found the information On Winifred Kane and John Corrigan?  Thank you!

Winifred Kane was born on 29 July 1904, details free to view at the link below:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01819/1711700.pdf

I believe this may be the same person marrying a John Corrigan in St. Mary's Belfast on 12 April 1920:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09256/5351045.pdf

John Corrigan and Winifred Kane had a son John Denis Corrigan on 25 January 1921, the transcribed record of the baptism that took place on 27 January in St. Patrick's Belfast is annotated to say that he went on to later marry someone called Noelle? Leeney in St. Chad's Cathedral Birmingham England, no date given. The same couple also had a son Laurence Corrigan who was born on 16 May 1924 and baptised in St. Patrick's Belfast on 18 May 1924.

Irene53

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 11:36:11 PM »
I really appreciate your help with this.  No where- so far - have I seen the name Winifred Kane but I do recall my mother mentioning the name and the name Corrigan.  By any chance are you related to the Kaneís or Corrigans?

Irene53

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 12:46:03 AM »
Interesting....the document for Clovelly street shows an age difference of 19 years between John and Mary and the marriage certificate shows an age difference of 3 years.  I wonder which one is correct?

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »

I really appreciate your help with this.  No where- so far - have I seen the name Winifred Kane but I do recall my mother mentioning the name and the name Corrigan.  By any chance are you related to the Kaneís or Corrigans?

Hi there, got waylaid... no I'm not related.  When you said that Patrick emigrated to the USA, do you know if he possibly came back to Ireland?

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »

Interesting....the document for Clovelly street shows an age difference of 19 years between John and Mary and the marriage certificate shows an age difference of 3 years.  I wonder which one is correct?

Well... that's what I initially thought also, until I looked at the original image of the census return. 

What I mean, is that although the transcribed version of the census return in the National Archives website shows Mary as 59 years old, as in the link below which you've seen, it didn't make sense as that would have meant she was about 53 when she had Lawrence:

HOWEVER, when you click on the actual census image 'Household Return (Form A)' - just a bit further down the page at the above link - I reckon Mary's age is a poorly formed '39', not '59', you can see what you think yourself, the link below takes you directly to the image, but I'm pretty sure it meant '39':

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000346076/

Irene53

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Yes the 39 would be more realistic. Iíll have to go back through my records to Check on Patrick.  I remember seeing a document showing that he had emigrated to the States and had lived in New York somewhere.  This Patrick would be a brother to Lawerence and Nora.  I probably wonít get to this until tonight but will get back to you with what I find.

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »

Yes the 39 would be more realistic. Iíll have to go back through my records to Check on Patrick.  I remember seeing a document showing that he had emigrated to the States and had lived in New York somewhere.  This Patrick would be a brother to Lawerence and Nora.  I probably wonít get to this until tonight but will get back to you with what I find.

No problem... it's just that I saw a Patrick Kane who was a bachelor who died in 1956 in Belfast with a reported age of 73, with a reference to the name Winifred Corrigan... may be just a co-incidence... it was just a guess:

Irene53

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 06:54:14 PM »
I do believe this is the correct Patrick Kane. I do recall my mother talking about her Uncle who would come up the back way to visit his sister and her family and she did mention that he was not a well person.  And the name Winifred Corrigan is linked as being her brother.  The other Patrick Kane that somehow is linked in here to the Kane name died in Troy, Albany, New York in 1970.  I believe this must be a different Patrick to the one Iíve been researching.  Thank you for providing this information.  Here are so many names of John Kane, Patrick Kane you have to really dig to make sure you have the correct one!