Author Topic: James McCORMICK died St Joseph's Home, Chichester Park, Belfast, 9 March 1921  (Read 151 times)

Daviren

I am trying to establish whether the James McCORMICK in the subject line, who was probably born in December 1920, is the son of Daniel McCORMICK & Jane McCORMICK, nee MOORE.
The Death Record shows that James McCORMICK, son of Jeanie McCORMICK died at St Joseph's Home, Chichester Park on 9 March 1921 and in the name/surname column "fr. Malone Home" is recorded after his name.
We know, from Family knowledge, that Daniel & Jane (who was also known as Jeannie or Jennie) had a child born C1921 who either died very young or was stillborn. We do not know if s/he was named.

The online Irish Civil Records have been a great source of information for Daniel & Jane's family but as births are not yet available beyond 1919 I can not establish the paternity of the James who died in 1921.
Daniel & Jane McCORMICK resided at 164 Divis Street from sometime prior to May 1913 until at least 1924, so they would appear not to have any connection with the area of James McCORMICK's death in 1921 and I therefore suspect that he is not the family member I am looking for.
To help me definitively eliminate him, I would be grateful if someone could clarify a few things for me:
(1) The history and purpose of St Joseph's Home, Chichester Park(2) What does "fr. Malone Home" in the Name/Surname column of the Death record mean(3) What was Malone Home
If there is any other information that could be useful to me in this matter, I would be most grateful.
Thanks.

David CossarWellingtonNew Zealand

CMcG

I'm reading that as from Malone Home, referring to the Maternity and Rescue Home at 25-31 Malone Place, a.k.a. the 'Midnight Mission':

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2448086/

St. Joseph's at Chichester Park was a poor home which took in healthy and sick children (it had an infirmary), but was  predominantly Catholic. It was listed in street directories of that era as 'St. Joseph's Babies' Nursing Home'.

So I'm guessing that the child was either born or previously at Malone Place, but referred on to St. Joseph's, perhaps for infirmary care.   

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

I can see a transcription of a baptismal record for an unnamed child entered under the mother's name of Jane McCormick,  it took place on 8 March 1921, the priest was D McEvoy of Holy Family Parish Belfast, the address given in the record was St. Joseph's Home.  The timing would fit the circumstance of the child being gravely ill (the death registration says that he was 3 months old).   

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Daviren

Thanks for these responses 'CMcG.' Based on what you have told me, plus what I know about the family, I'm convinced that the James in the Death record is not the son of Daniel & Jane McCORMICK.
My Mother, who is the daughter of Daniel & Jane was born in 1919 and was Baptised at St. Peter's Pro-Cathedral, Belfast as were most of her 13 siblings. The only ones I don't have Baptismal records for were those who died young although I'm sure they would have also been baptised.
You mention that you can see a transcription of a baptismal record at the Holy Family Parish. Is this information available online and would those for St Peter's also be available online? If so, where?

Thanks again. You have been an immense help.

David

CMcG

That Holy Family baptismal record transcription is on the subscription website 'RootsIreland', coverage of St. Peter's on that same website is only up to 1900.