Author Topic: Where cab I find the baptismal records for Carrickfergus Church of Ireland 1850?  (Read 184 times)

tonyt071

Hi[/size]

[/size]
This forum kindly helped me previously. I am revisiting your help and the dates of birth  below are the only dates I have seen and would like to know where i can review the records please? (sorry if that is adumb question)[/size]

[/size]
"Based on the Carrickfergus backstory, here are 3 baptismal transcriptions I can see, 2 of which have interesting naming:[/size]- William John Anderson, baptised in Carrickfergus Church of Ireland parish on 27 February 1845 (DOB given as 20 February 1845), parents given as John Anderson (labourer) and Ellen Lockhart;[/size]- James Kennedy[/size] Anderson, baptised in Carrickfergus parish on 31 March 1854 (DOB given as 13 August 1853), parents given as John and Ellen Anderson of Woodburn Middle and West Division (John's occupation given as labourer);[/size]- Samuel Hamilton[/size] Anderson, baptised on 16 July 1854 (DOB given as 8 February 1851) in Carrickfergus Church of Ireland parish, parents given as John and Ellen Anderson of Woodburn Middle and West Division (John's occupation given as labourer)"[/size]

I have found a Scottish family which might match if I can prove Samuel was born in Scotland - [/size]http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,77442.msg2156191.html#msg2156191 - [size=78%]https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC/1851/0019459015[/size]

[/size]
Thank you for your assistance[/size]

Elwyn

There is a copy of the Carrickfergus Church of Ireland records in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. They cover the following years:

Baptisms, 1740-99 and 1822-99;
marriages, 1740-1909;
burials, 1740-1800 and 1825-1939.

I don’t think the records are on-line anywhere, so a personal visit to PRONI may be required to view them.

Elwyn

tonyt071

Thank you Elwyn

I can see the microfiche numbers but I have no way of getting to PRONI and I believe they no longer do look ups? Is there a commercial site which may have them?

MIC 583/28-30; IP 157; MIC 1/318 and CR 1/25

Thank you

Elwyn

My understanding is that PRONI will do look ups if you have clear and relatively simple information. So, for example, they will look for a baptism or a marriage or a burial in a specific church around about a certain date. What they won’t do are trawling searches. Eg “looking for all Murphy baptisms 1825 – 1860.”  You have to send PRONI the information you are interested in and they’ll then tell you whether they’ll do it or not, together with a price (which has to be paid in advance).

Or you could use a commercial researcher. Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net
Their e-mail contact is: [email protected]

You could try the rootsireland site to see if they have those records but otherwise I don’t think they are on-line anywhere yet. The Church of Ireland does have a programme running to put all their record son-line (on the irishgenealogy site) but they are some years from completing that. You may have a bit of a wait for that solution.

Elwyn

tonyt071

Thanks Elwyn

I have asked PRONi and will ask rootsireland