Author Topic: Robinsons Bar (Research Request)  (Read 208 times)

Luther Blissett

Robinsons Bar (Research Request)
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
Hello
I'm doing a bit of research support for Robinson's Bar as part of their 125 year Celebration and hoping to gather some more info. Specifically:
Ownership Timeline after the O'Neill Family take ownership from Robinson family sometime between 1943 - 1951 (based on Street Index listing). Bar names E.g. other parts of the bar had different names, such as Crusoes, Ziggys, Rock Bottom, etc. Any old pictures either famous faces or regulars in/outside the bar. Anything else that might be interesting?
I've already compiled a large amount of info but anything additional/missed is always welcome. Thanks in advance.
R.

Hugh Jarce

Re: Robinsons Bar (Research Request)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
I remember it was owned jointly by Danny Rice & Tony Diver in the 80's,The O'Neil restaurant at the top/rear was a favourite haunt of journo's during the worst days of the troubles,The Owners eventually sold the premises to Guinness for 1M,an unheard of sum back then.The present bar couldn't hold a candle to Robinsons in it's pomp.

Luther Blissett

Re: Robinsons Bar (Research Request)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
I remember it was owned jointly by Danny Rice & Tony Diver in the 80's,The O'Neil restaurant at the top/rear was a favourite haunt of journo's during the worst days of the troubles,The Owners eventually sold the premises to Guinness for 1M,an unheard of sum back then.The present bar couldn't hold a candle to Robinsons in it's pomp.
Thanks for that. I have some newspaper cutting that reference the Rice & Diver ownership - did they own other bars in the city? The names sound familiar.