Author Topic: William John Nesbitt and his youngest sister Charlotte  (Read 251 times)

Joy Dean

William John Nesbitt and his youngest sister Charlotte
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
He was one of the children of Charlotte and Samuel Graham Nesbitt, shoemaker. Charlotte died in 1891 in Belfast and his father remarried, to an Agnes Graham.
William John was born in Moor Park, Galway 21st February 1886.
1901 census surname Nisbitt with father, stepmother and brothers Robert and Samuel. Age 15, Messenger, Presbyterian, born Galway, at Matchet Street, Shankhill, Belfast, Antrim.
1911 census William John with father, stepmother and brother Samuel. Age 23, Baker, Presbyterian, born Co. Galway, at 56 York Road, Belfast, Co. Antrim.
Can anyone find him after 1911, please?

His youngest sister Charlotte was born in 79 Israel Street, Belfast 18th April 1891 but I cannot find any record of her after her birth.

Can anyone find either of them, please? Thank you.

CMcG

Re: William John Nesbitt and his youngest sister Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
What I find interesting initially about that 1901 census return is the absence of the younger (ie. later) children, it would normally be the other way round as the older ones fly the coop, yet I can't readily find deaths for the later children.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but is it a possibility that the later children were farmed out or put up for adoption (and possibly renamed)? Charlotte McCusker Nesbitt died on 22 June 1891 and Samuel didn't remarry (Agnes) until 17 April 1895, meaning that he was on his tod for almost 4 years.  Looking at the 4 youngest children at the time of Charlotte's death:

- William John b. 21 February 1886 was 5 years and 4 months old;   
- Margaret Elizabeth b. 31 March 1888 was 3 years and 2 months old;
- James b. 15 December 1889 was 1 year 6 months old; and
- Charlotte b. 18 April 1891 was 2 months old.

I imagine that William John was already attending school, whereas the younger 3 needed all day care. In the circumstances, I doubt that Samuel would have been able to provide that care and hold down his job. 

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Joy Dean

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I had thought that Charlotte and Samuel had seven children and was not aware of a James - I shall investigate him.

Perhaps I should have mentioned the other siblings and shall put brief details of all Charlotte and Samuel's children below:
Susan was born in Galway in July 1880; she died in May 1898 age 17 in Belfast.
Robert was born in Galway in October 1881. He married Georgina Hamilton in 1906 in Belfast. They had three daughters and one son who died in infancy.
Samuel Graham was born in Galway in December 1882. He died in July 1918 in Belfast.
Sarah Jane was born in Galway in March 1884.
William John was born in February 1886 in Galway.
Margaret Elizabeth was born in March 1888 in Galway. In 1901 she was with a maternal aunt and uncle in England. She married and emigrated to Canada.
Charlotte was born in April 1891 in Belfast.

Indeed, I agree, perhaps Charlotte was given to someone else and maybe renamed.

Sarah Jane, too, is a mystery.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I had thought that Charlotte and Samuel had seven children and was not aware of a James - I shall investigate him ...

Birth here under Loughrea:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02438/1907286.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Joy Dean

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
Birth here under Loughrea:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02438/1907286.pdf

Thank you very much. My Granny had eight Irish cousins, not seven!

Samuel left registering James's birth rather a long time!  I can't quite decipher the place name - would it be Ballyglunin?

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:21:47 PM »
Difficult to say, registrars had their own way of spelling locations, it could be Ballygarraun...

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 03:34:26 AM »

... Sarah Jane, too, is a mystery.

The following is a possibility, the context is that the 1901 Ireland census shows Samuel Nisbitt's birthplace as 'Antrim' and his 1895 record of marriage to Agnes Graham shows his father as Robert Nesbitt.

There is a 17 year old Sarah Nesbitt in the 1901 England census listed as 'niece' in the household of a Henry and Mary Muir living in London, Mary is recorded as 38 years old, her birthplace is given as 'Ireland' (as is Sarah's).  Furthermore, the 1911 census lists this couple as Henry Chisolm Muir and Mary Anne Muir, married 23 years, Mary Anne is recorded as 48 years old, born 'Antrim Ireland'.

This looks like the marriage announcement in the Fife Free Press & Kirkaldy Guardian of 7 January 1888, what is promising is the father's details for Mary Anne:

Then there is the following 'in memoriam' notice in the Belfast Newsletter of 5 November 1920:

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 04:27:57 AM »

Further to the names in the above notice, note the following 'in memoriam' notice some years earlier in 1914:

Referring to this man in 1901 and 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Aghagallon/Aghadrumglosney/1002278/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Aghagallon/Aghadrumglasny/202755/

And bingo, this from the PRONI Will Calendars index: Administration of the Estate of Robert Nesbitt late of Aghadrumglassny County Antrim Farmer who died 16 October 1912 granted at Belfast to Samuel Nesbitt Shoemaker.

So, it looks like Robert Nesbitt senior had children Robert junior (d. 1912), Samuel, Margaret and Mary Anne (Muir).

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:52:47 AM »
The following 'in memoriam' is from the Belfast Newsletter of 22 December 1914:

Then this from the Northern Constitution of 28 December 1895:

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 05:31:20 AM »

Robert 'Nisbet' died on 20 December 1895 at 10 McLellan Street, Govan, at a reported age of 'about 75 years', he was described in the death registration as a hand loom weaver, the widower of 'Sarah Fuguard', Robert's parents were recorded as Robert Nisbet, a farmer and Margaret 'Shankster', the informant present at death was son Robert.

Joy Dean

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Thank you so very much for all your research. I must read and study this very carefully.
In my research I have found it helpful that Samuel Graham Nesbitt (he that is married to Charlotte McCusker) often used his full name or had shoemaker / bootmaker after his name.
Some of the names I have seen in letters written by my Granny's cousin Maggie (she that went to Canada) are now making sense! She had certainly mentioned Aunt Mary having written to let her know that her father's brother Robert had died in 1912.
And Mary Muir lived in Myddleton Square - where we used to go to do research in the Family Records Centre.
Once I have read and understood all of this, I think it will then begin to make sense as to why Charlotte and Samuel had married in Glasgow!

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
Death notices for the Muirs...

Fife Free Press & Kircaldy Guardian, 18 September 1915:

Belfast Newsletter, 9 November 1918:

Joy Dean

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Thank you again very much.
For information here is the marriage record for Charlotte and Samuel. I would attach it but, unfortunately, cannot see a way to do so.
They married in 48 Abbotsford Place, Glasgow, 23rd January 1879, after Publication, according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland, in the District of Gorbals in the County of Lanarkshire.
Signed Samuel Graham Nesbitt, Shoemaker, Journeyman, Bachelor, age 27, 305 Caledonia Road, district of Gorbals, Glasgow Charlotte McCusker, Domestic Servant, Spinster, age 23, 11 Florence Street, Glasgow.