Author Topic: The Reform Club  (Read 254 times)

Goatski

The Reform Club
« on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:18 PM »
According to Wikipedia -

"The Ulster Reform Club is a business, social and dining club in Northern Ireland. The club's clubhouse, which opened on New Year’s Day 1885, occupies a conspicuous position on Royal Avenue in the centre of Belfast.  In its décor, furnishings and objets d’art, the clubhouse retains historical associations."

- And that's as much as I know about the place. 

However, on 21st April 2020 - from 10.30am to 1pm, for the princely sum of £25, there is apparently a tour of the building (including tea and a scone) followed by a walking tour of Belfast City Centre.  That's about £5 per ½ hour.

Details here>>>  https://www.ulsterarchitecturalheritage.org.uk/event/coming-soon-members-only-visit-ulster-reform-club-belfast-walking-tour/

jillyfred

Re: The Reform Club
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
It would be well worth seeing Goatski.

It also used to have -like similar London Clubs-beautiful accommodation where out of City Members would stay
when in Belfast for business or pleasure!

Sadly like many other events unless a miracle cure for this virus is found I doubt the Tour will take place.
However,thank you for posting the information.

jilly

PS
Have just heard Racing at Down Royal and Downpatrick will take place but only with those who need to be there will be there.
No public,no bookies,no catering or bar facilities.
A very costly business for the Clubs and resulting in cancellations to many other vendors who frequent the Meetings.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
A colleague invited me to lunch at the Reform Club some 30 years ago and it was definitely something out of the ordinary. It was jacket and tie of course, and while the food was quite ordinary (but pleasant), the overall experience, from the heavy silver plated cutlery to the fully uniformed waitresses, was pure 'Downton Abbey'. It was also surprisingly quiet inside, given it's location right in the heart of Belfast.  But the most striking thing on the day was the number of famous faces (famous by local standards) calling in for lunch in the hour or so that I was there.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

seosamh

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:31:09 PM »
worked in it over the years fitting the carpets and maintaining them, nice club but very upper class with old men reading papers on victorian chairs lolol but they always gave us a great lunch ,decor out of this world