Author Topic: Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church records  (Read 136 times)

Bill Sloan

Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church records
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:54 PM »
Hello - does anyone know what might have happened to the records of the Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church (off the Antrim Road) when it closed several years ago?  I am looking to trace some family members that might have attended the church in the 1930s.  Thanks.[/size]

Elwyn

Re: Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church records
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
     The Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast should probably be able to tell you:

http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com

Elwyn

Bill Sloan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »
Hello Elwyn - Thanks for your reply.  I will give that a try.  I thought perhaps I might turn up someone on the Forum who was involved in the winding down of the church, who might have a direct knowledge of where the records ended up, but my fallback was the Presbyterian Church in NI or the Presbyterian History Society. Cheers.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 01:56:30 PM »
The records don't seem to be in PRONI so PBS is the next place to look. Sometimes if 2 churches combined (e.g. Albert St and Argyle place Presbyterian churches) the records were kept in the "new" church.
Elwyn

Bill Sloan

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
Hello again Elwyn - thanks again for the reply. I will probably give the Presbyterian Church in Ireland a call Monday.  I am also going to try and get in touch with the last minister at the church before it closed.  He would likely have personal knowledge of exactly where the records went.  And you are right, If the church amalgamated with another, the records may have been transferred there.  I will follow up on that suggestion as well.  Cheers.