Author Topic: Help Help  (Read 217 times)

James Todd

Help Help
« on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »
Hi. Have done my DNA and a good match was made. When I inquired as to the Grandfather and Father was, this was the reply. My Grandfather  is Ernest and my Dad is James&Ipar, Jim &rpar. Can anyone please help me understand the par words. I did ask but no reply. They were originally from Ireland and I'm wondering if it has an Irish meaning. The Grandfather's name is Ernest McCullough. I've checked the 1901 and 11 census for Portadown and couldn't find him. Could anyone  make  a suggestion as to where else I should look?  Thanks a million to everyone for their help in the past[size=78%] . Best regards. Jim[/size]

CMcG

Re: Help Help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
Hi,  I'm afraid that you really need to provide a lot more info for anyone to be able to help you, for example: were Ernest and son James born here and when?;  did they emigrate and when?; where did they emigrate to?; have you any spouse details?' etc.

In relation to the phrase my Dad is James &lpar Jim &rpar , I suspect all that means is that you are seeing the underlying HTML punctuation codes for left and right parentheses, I've seen this before. 

In other words, what the person at the far end typed and sent to you was the phrase my Dad is James (Jim) , but for whatever reason, you received at your end the code &lpar instead of the left bracket and &rpar instead of the right bracket, that is literally all it means, I hope the way I've said that makes sense.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.