Author Topic: Boyds from Emerson Street Shankill Road  (Read 501 times)

elainehome19

Boyds from Emerson Street Shankill Road
« on: March 19, 2020, 01:07:43 AM »
Looking for information on Boyds that lived in Emerson Street, Shankill Road in early 1900s

CMcG

Re: Boyds from Emerson Street Shankill Road
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
The 1901 Belfast street directory lists 2 Boyds in Emerson street:

22. Boyd, W., spirit grocer
29. Boyd, Henry, labourer

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/efgcomplete1901.htm

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

elainehome19

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 01:44:00 AM »
my dad was born 1920 so it would have been after that

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
On the same website, there's only one Boyd listed under Emerson Street in the 1924 and 1932 street directories:

78. Boyd, John, labourer

That John Boyd married an Emily Lucinda Reid on Boxing Day 1910:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1910/09996/5635595.pdf

The couple went on to have a son David in 1913, a son John in 1916, and a son Robert in 1920.

Anything here ringing a bell?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

elainehome19

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 04:34:23 PM »
Not sure if direct lineage, good possibility cousins as they were a big family with repeating names in each family. My dad was Robert he had an older brother Jack, a sister Ena thought she was older then Robert, younger sister Emily and then Iris. Never heard anyone mention an older brother David. Could be that they were not in Emerson Street at that time or David passed away or had a fall out with the family or something. My dad also had a younger brother Tom, youngest in the family, there was something about Tom, he was not blood relative or he was adopted ???

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 01:11:39 AM »

The 'Jack' you mention could be John. I also now know that the son David I mentioned (b. 1913) died just a fortnight after birth, so that might explain why that name is unknown.

Exploring this couple (John Boyd and Emily Lucinda Reid) further, I can now see that their first child was a daughter named Elizabeth Georgina in 1911, I wonder if this could be 'Ena'?

The following 1962 'in memoriam' notice confirms that there was also a son called Thomas, married to a Mary:

John and Emily Lucinda (Reid) Boyd are both buried in Carnmoney Cemetery. With the usual health warning about the accuracy of online information, note that there is a family tree on the 'Ancestry' website indicating that John and Emily Lucinda (Reid) Boyd also had a daughter named Emily Boyd in 1922, who went on to marry a William Thomas Johns in 1941, the couple had a son in 1942 called William Thomas Johns (junior) who died in 2006, Emily (Boyd) Johns died in 1994, her then address was 28 Waveney Avenue off the Shore Road in Belfast.  There's also an indication in this family tree that the Elizabeth Georgina Boyd I mentioned above went on to marry a Forsythe and the couple had a son Thomas John Forsythe who died in 2008.

elainehome19

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 01:27:42 AM »
This is super, definitely the right family. Thank you very much

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
OK, tracking Emily Lucinda Reid back...

In the 1910 record of marriage I previously posted, her address was 31 Lorton Street and her father was recorded as Arthur Reid, a Ship Carpenter. Here is the married Emily (Reid) Boyd in the 1911 census living with mother Martha Reid at 31 Lorton Street:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Wood_Vale_Ward/Lorton_Street/164398/

Back 10 years to the 1901 census, here is Emily Reid with her parents:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Annette_Street/967957/

Martha Reid died in 1914 at 78 Emerson Street (note who the informant was):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05290/4470476.pdf

And I think the following is possibly Arthur Reid's death in 1918, he died in hospital (51 Lisburn Road) during the flu pandemic, his then address was recorded as Whiteabbey:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05174/4427857.pdf

The marriage of Arthur and Martha Reid is quite easy to find, in the 1911 census return I posted, if you tick 'Show all information' and scroll over to the right, you can see that Martha said that she was 40 years married.  That reads across to the following marriage, in Trinity Church of Ireland, Belfast, on 1 February 1869, between Arthur Reid and Martha Breckenridge, Arthur was recorded as a boat builder, the son of John Reid a shoemaker, while Martha's father was given as Samuel Breckenridge, a reeling master:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11407/8188964.pdf

But then there's a bit of a mystery, for I'm struggling to find a birth registration for their daughter Emily Lucinda Reid. The 1901 and 1911 census returns are consistent in indicating that she was born c. 1889, the 1911 return gives her birthplace as Belfast. But I can find no children registered for Arthur Reid and Martha Breckenridge from the time of their marriage onwards.  Over to the right of the 1911 census return, Martha Reid says that she had a total of 1 child born and still living, presumably referring to Emily.  But for a couple to marry in 1869 and only have the first (and only) child 20 years later, is relatively unusual. Maybe someone else reading will find Emily's birth registration, but in the absence of same, there is a slight notion in my head that while Arthur and Martha clearly brought her up (from the 1901 census at least if not before), they might not be her biological parents.

seosamh

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
I knew a bobby boyd who I worked with he came from Paris st he was a carpet fitter, when he got married and moved to newtownabbey somewhere near stanard telephones if that's any use to you