Author Topic: Randalstown_Cookstown Junction  (Read 559 times)

CMcG

Re: Randalstown_Cookstown Junction
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 12:39:21 AM »

Would you know who Margret Jane Montgomery married ?  She lived on Agincourt ave.

Found her, the clue was offered up in this 1945 Belfast Telegraph 'in memoriam' notice for Neill Montgomery who died in 1942 (the son of William Moore Montgomery and Edith Morrison):

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2160937/montgomery,-neil-morrison/

Margaret Jane Montgomery was a.k.a. Jeanie.  More anon.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
With the usual health warning about the accuracy of online information (ie. I haven't verified the following), there is a family tree on the Ancestry website which shows Margaret Jane Montgomery marrying a John Ducie on 10 December 1923, the location associated with this event is Silverton, Pretoria, Transvaal, South Africa. The tree has the correct background context (Margaret Jane born in Belfast on 23 September 1895 to parents James Montgomery and Rebecca Moore). There is mention of a son John Maxwell Thomson Ducie (1929-2008) and one other child (marked 'private'). Margaret Jane died in 1973 in Johannesburg.

I'm not seeing an Agincourt Avenue connection.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

moorsy

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 06:31:40 PM »

Oh boy,  you got me now,  somewhere in my records I think I had Neill married to a Mary Preston ?.

Interesting info on Margaret Jane, I wonder if my cousin Donald McConnell, son of Edith Montgomery, first stayed with her when he went to S.Africa to live in Joburg.

The question is who was the Aunt Jane my father referred to on Agincourt.?

The more you learn eh!.

i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

moorsy

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
  B.T.Y.   I had Margaret born 1890

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »

B.T.Y.   I had Margaret born 1890

Margaret Jane (a.k.a. Jeanie) was born on 23 September 1895 at 8 Jerusalem Street:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02197/1830581.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 09:27:08 PM »

Oh boy,  you got me now,  somewhere in my records I think I had Neill married to a Mary Preston ?...

According to the 'FamilySearch' website, the birth of Neil Morrison Montgomery was registered in Belfast in the Jul-Sep quarter of 1920. But I can see no marriage for anyone with that name in the GRONI website from 1936 onwards, so if he was married to Mary Preston, presumably it was outside of Northern Ireland?

In addition to no mention of a wife in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission link I posted at reply #15, there is also no mention of a wife in the following Belfast Telegraph article of 28 May 1942:

moorsy

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 10:13:43 PM »

Thanks CMcC, Obvious I have that wrong about his marriage.

He must have had a tough time,what with Dunkirk and then Somalia.

moorsy

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:16 AM »

I was checking back on my records and found out that there were two Margaret Janes. One on the Montgomery side of the family and one on the Brown,s side,who would have been my dads aunt.

I have her being born 14/08/1890, and at some point lived at Agincourt Ave.   MAY ??  have married a Robert Adams.  Her family possibly lived in Pottinger ward when she was born.

CMcG

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
I can see a Margaret Jane Brown born on 14 August, but in 1899 rather than 1890:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02033/1779078.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »

I can see a Margaret Jane Brown born on 14 August, but in 1899 rather than 1890:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02033/1779078.pdf

Which reads across to Robert Brown, wife Sarah Fairley and family in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Bryson_Street/220357/

The son Robert's occupation and the father Robert's occupation are a match for the information in the 1911 record of marriage for Robert Brown and Elizabeth Montgomery: 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1911/09946/5615729.pdf

moorsy

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
  Thats her for sure,sorry for the mistake 1890.  The family bounced about different streets around Mountpottinger at the time and I had her on Woodstock st when she was born.

Cheers CMcC.

CMcG

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »

I was checking back on my records and found out that there were two Margaret Janes. One on the Montgomery side of the family and one on the Brown,s side,who would have been my dads aunt.

I have her being born 14/08/1890, and at some point lived at Agincourt Ave.  MAY ??  have married a Robert Adams.  Her family possibly lived in Pottinger ward when she was born.

I'm struggling so far to find a marriage for Robert Adams and Margaret Jane Brown, or a reference to either of them in Agincourt Avenue... HOWEVER, I could see the following couple of 1928 Belfast Telegraph 'in memoriam' notices for a Robert Brown of 143 Madrid Street who died in 1927, one of which mentions a daughter and son-in-law Margaret and Robert Adams:

The 1924 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows the following entry for Madrid Street: 143. Brown, Robt., rivetter

That 1927 Robert Brown death reads across to the following burial records for grave F3 195  in Dundonald Cemetery (ie. also the grave for a Sarah A Brown and Fredk Brown):

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=F3&GraveNumber=195&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

The Belfast Telegraph in 1966 carried the following couple of death notices for the Frederick Brown in that grave, they are a bit smudged, but I'm seeing 'son of the late Robert and Sarah Brown, Madrid Street, Belfast' and 'Deeply regretted by Brothers, Bill, George, Charles, James and Ernest and Families':

Does any of this ring a bell?

moorsy

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Absolutely ,   it all checks out. George and Dorothy nee owens moved to Newark n.j. to a cousin Sam Chambers who was the Presbyterian minster at milburn memorial church.  His family came from Clare township near warringstown.Supposed sailed on the s.s. celtic from liverpool 7/4/23.

George and Dorothy lived at 168 west 31st Bayonne n.j. and died at Valley Stream n.y.

moorsy

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »
 The Fred you had the death notice for was the Frederick Brown who either owned or managed the Hotel Pickie in Bangor. A lot of the English football clubs and international sides used to stay there and us kids used to get autographs that he send us.  Dad said he owned it,but i,m not sure.

CMcG

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »

1947:

1964: