Author Topic: Kilmood Street / Chemical Street / Hamilton Street / Parker Street  (Read 564 times)

TonySurrey

Hoping others have 'photos. My MAGEE and EDGAR families were in these: (Kilmood Street / Chemical Street / Hamilton Street / Parker Street) streets in the Ballymacarrett area and Pottinger district of East Belfast. Anyone allow me to copy pics. / photos. of any of these streets. My families were in these areas from about 1850's to 1960's, so am wanting to see same period 'photos. My best to all, hope you are keeping safe from "Covid - 19" virus. BIG thanks to those who have helped me before at the Belfast Forum

richard mccann

Re: Kilmood Street / Chemical Street / Hamilton Street / Parker Street
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
tony surrey /If you look about seven items below your post you will see   (2100 pictures of many areas of Belfast} There is a section about East Belfast . I am sure you will find the streets you are looking for . I come from East Belfast myself I have been in Australia for the last 59 yrs.  cheers/ Rmc

TonySurrey

Richard McCann: Thanks for the reference to the VASTE number of 'photos., I shall sit down one evening (very! soon Jim) and trawl through them. Pity no Kilmood Street references, maybe they will appear later?

Bread: Thank you for the link, do you know of any specific 'photo sources for Kilmood Street?
JimMcG: Received your pm. Appreciate the massive effort from you, as always. It's useful to hear what others have to say, a living relative for example, with difficult-to-access records - data protection etc.

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
Chemical St 👍🏼  unfortunately once again Photo Bucket messed it up😡

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,27123.msg1140356.html#msg1140356

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »
Tony Surrey,
Just to remind you but iím Sure that you have remembered this post which produced a link or 2

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=55797.0

TonySurrey

Richard McCANN: Thanks again. Hope I will flush William MAGEE from his roots (supposed?) in Carrowdore - especially any, any army records connected to him.
Bread Basket: Does "BB" mean USA? Yes, I'm nosey! Thanks for picking out some of the photos, I think Kilmood street was near Seaforde Road (does that make sense?) but recall Belfast Library staff writing me that it was demolished (before??) 1950's <- my memory hazy on this one  :)   !  The photo of Woodstock Street, was it formerly Chemical Street?
Well thanks for what has been found. I need to save and visit Belfast again, soon! Army records may be difficult area from NI? maybe i need to approach this two-pronged from National Archives here at Kew?Happy hunting everyone! Hope the COVID-19 crisis isn't driving you all mad, like us here!  :D

Bread Basket

Richard McCANN: Thanks again. Hope I will flush William MAGEE from his roots (supposed?) in Carrowdore - especially any, any army records connected to him.
Bread Basket: Does "BB" mean USA? Yes, I'm nosey! Thanks for picking out some of the photos, I think Kilmood street was near Seaforde Road (does that make sense?) but recall Belfast Library staff writing me that it was demolished (before??) 1950's <- my memory hazy on this one  :)   !  The photo of Woodstock Street, was it formerly Chemical Street?
Well thanks for what has been found. I need to save and visit Belfast again, soon! Army records may be difficult area from NI? maybe i need to approach this two-pronged from National Archives here at Kew?Happy hunting everyone! Hope the COVID-19 crisis isn't driving you all mad, like us here!  :D

No probs Tony.  BB means Bread Basket.... keep yer head low and dodge the virus 👍🏼

Margana

I lived in Kilmood Street from my birth in 1953 until I was married and left in 1975. My mother continued living there until it was demolished in the mid 80's for redevelopment. Kilmood Street ran between Seaforde Street and Bryson Street while Chemical Street was further along Seaforde Street. Woodstock Street was on the other side of this area (known as the Short Strand but part of Ballymacarrett) and ran between Thompson Street and Madrid Street. This whole area was redeveloped in the mid 80's and virtually all of the original houses are gone.
There were a couple of Edgar brothers that lived in Seaforde Street (Jimmy and ???) and there was another family of Edgars in Beechfield Street. Pictures from those times were rare as most people couldn't afford cameras.

Margana

I forgot to mention that Hamilton Street was in the Markets area, about 1 mile from the Short Strand while Parker Street was off Templemore Avenue which was on the periphery of the Short Strand. Send me the details of your relatives and I'll see if I can add any info.