Author Topic: Wrestlers from Belfast  (Read 1871 times)

TheWrestlingNick

Wrestlers from Belfast
« on: April 16, 2020, 06:43:51 PM »
Hi folks

I'm currently working on a book about the history of pro wrestling in Northern Ireland.

I've already spoken to and thankful to remain in contact with names like Eddie Hamill (Kung Fu), Dave Finlay, Noel "Darkie" Arnott, Billy Joe Beck, Dennis "Diamond Shondell" Millar, Ralph "Rocky" Hunter and Bruce "McDonald" Stevenson   the families of a few wrestlers who have passed away unfortunately, however I'd be very interested in getting in contact with others related to the pro wrestling scene from the 1940s to the 1990s.

Any info in particular on Jack McClelland & George Connell (who both promoted shows) as well as Pat "Red Kelly" - I believe his real surname to be Donoghue perhaps? Or Eric "Tug" Wilson. And any others really would be greatly appreciated.

I find myself diving further and further into the different players, so if a relative of yours wrestled for a time during the 50 year stretch noted above, please do feel welcome to get in contact.

Kindest regards
Nick

Bread Basket

Re: Wrestlers from Belfast
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »

poacher

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »
Tiger Joe Moore from alliance parade

TheWrestlingNick

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
Tiger Joe Moore from alliance parade

Hi I wonder would you have anymore info on Tiger Joe if possible?

I know he wrestled in the 40s & 50s into the 60s, and I believe worked at the Shipyard in Belfast?

Kindest regards, Nick

poacher

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
Joe Tiger Moore lived in 20 Alliance Parade Belfast and worked in the Engine Works at Harland & Wolff as a machinest
Dont know if he stayed in Alliance Parade or moved on because of the troubles I lived just up the street and seen him in action at the buff club in Belfast.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
Interesting to see Buck Alec on this one.

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
Have spoken to Boxer 1949 on here several times in the past discussing Boxing that took place in Belfast, Boxer informed me that there was a “Ring” at Peter’s Hill and was possibly run by Ma Copley, looks like this May be confirmation.

Bread Basket

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »

Looks like Buck Alec was not the only one in Belfast to wrestle lions 😁😁😁😁

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »
Whipper watson lived across the road from me in dhu varren park.he worked in mackies and was deaf and dumb and also got blinded in one eye in an accident at work. He was a lovely bloke.

JackM

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
Have spoken to Boxer 1949 on here several times in the past discussing Boxing that took place in Belfast, Boxer informed me that there was a “Ring” at Peter’s Hill and was possibly run by Ma Copley, looks like this May be confirmation.

`Whipper Watson`, worked in James Mackie Ltd, Woodvale factory and lived around one of the Dhu Varrens.
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

vinnym

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Looking at the newspaper clippings above at #9 was wondering whereabouts The Ring, Peters Hill was? Can anyone shed any light in this?

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »
Looking at the newspaper clippings above at #9 was wondering whereabouts The Ring, Peters Hill was? Can anyone shed any light in this?

I think it may have been a marquee / tent on waste ground