Author Topic: Wrestlers from Belfast  (Read 2617 times)

vinnym

Re: Wrestlers from Belfast
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
I think it may have been a marquee / tent on waste ground
Thanks for your reply BB.

TheWrestlingNick

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
Whipper watson lived across the road from me in dhu varren park.he worked in mackies and was deaf and dumb and also got blinded in one eye in an accident at work. He was a lovely bloke.

I've heard of Whipper Watson. Is he still about?

If not, I wonder would anyone have contact info for any family members of the likes of himself or Tiger Joe Moore or Dave Mac (I think his surname was McQuitty)?

Kindest regards
Nick

JackM

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
Have spoken to Boxer 1949 on here several times in the past discussing Boxing that took place in Belfast, Boxer informed me that there was a “Ring” at Peter’s Hill and was possibly run by Ma Copley, looks like this May be confirmation.

On reflection this is not the `Whipper Watson` from Dhu Varren who worked in Mackies. If the news article is from 1940 and presuming Whipper turned Pro at 20 years old, then he would have been born in 1920. No way was the `Whipper`from Dhu Varren born in 1920.
I am 80 years old and I believe the Whipper from Dhu Varren is younger than me, if he's still living. I don't think the Whipper who worked in Mackies ever turned Pro but stayed an Amateur all his wrestling days.

I believe people are getting mixed up with the real `Whipper Watson`, who also wrestled in Belfast as part of the wrestling circuit of the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqpbf-t9HpAhWaRBUIHe5oA80QFjAAegQIDxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWhipper_Billy_Watson&usg=AOvVaw3phX4OzHDDKwxLeWKqIsr-
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
Jack you are right the whipper from dhu varren definatley wasn't born in 1920 the last time I seen billy was on the woodvale he looked a bit forlorn I think he was living on his own.he was a really nice bloke.

JackM

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
Jack you are right the whipper from dhu varren definatley wasn't born in 1920 the last time I seen billy was on the woodvale he looked a bit forlorn I think he was living on his own.he was a really nice bloke.

Thanks Jimmy. Yes you are correct Whipper was a lovely fella. I used to see him fairly often when I lived off the Springfield Road. He would walk down Workman Avenue up the Springfield Road, up West Circular Road, down the Ballygomartin Road, into Woodvale Park and home again. He did that regularly in the Summer months. I always remember him as a sharp dresser.

Must be quite a few years now, since I last saw him.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

vinnym

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
I think it may have been a marquee / tent on waste ground
I have just perused the 1943 Street directory shows Rialto Boxing Club at 78a Peters Hill. Maybe that was a venue also?

Bread Basket

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »
Another Whipper 🧐🤨

Bread Basket

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
I've heard of Whipper Watson. Is he still about?

If not, I wonder would anyone have contact info for any family members of the likes of himself or Tiger Joe Moore or Dave Mac (I think his surname was McQuitty)?

Kindest regards
Nick

This article mentions Whipper Dave Mack.  the bottom clipping states that Dave Mack was the referee.

Bread Basket

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »

TheWrestlingNick

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »

Yes both "Whipper" and "Dropkick" would have been regularly reused monikers for wrestlers of the time.

Dave Mack appears to have wrestled likely in the 1930s, definitely the 1940s, likely the 1950s and retired from wrestling that decade
In the 60s to the 70s and maybe even early 80s he served as MC at wrestling shows

His long tenure in pro wrestling, 38 years at least (wrestled on a card in 1941, was MC in 1979) makes him a very interesting figure.
Would be very beneficial coming across a relative.

Info on a fellow called Cliff Donaldson who wrestled as Butcher Donald would be great too.He was a taxi man in Belfast I believe.

Kindest regard, Nick