Author Topic: Wrestlers from Belfast  (Read 758 times)

Bread Basket

Re: Wrestlers from Belfast
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »
Looking at the newspaper clippings above at #9 was wondering whereabouts The Ring, Peters Hill was? Can anyone shed any light in this?

I think it may have been a marquee / tent on waste ground

vinnym

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
I think it may have been a marquee / tent on waste ground
Thanks for your reply BB.

TheWrestlingNick

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
Whipper watson lived across the road from me in dhu varren park.he worked in mackies and was deaf and dumb and also got blinded in one eye in an accident at work. He was a lovely bloke.

I've heard of Whipper Watson. Is he still about?

If not, I wonder would anyone have contact info for any family members of the likes of himself or Tiger Joe Moore or Dave Mac (I think his surname was McQuitty)?

Kindest regards
Nick

JackM

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 12:55:20 PM »
Have spoken to Boxer 1949 on here several times in the past discussing Boxing that took place in Belfast, Boxer informed me that there was a “Ring” at Peter’s Hill and was possibly run by Ma Copley, looks like this May be confirmation.

On reflection this is not the `Whipper Watson` from Dhu Varren who worked in Mackies. If the news article is from 1940 and presuming Whipper turned Pro at 20 years old, then he would have been born in 1920. No way was the `Whipper`from Dhu Varren born in 1920.
I am 80 years old and I believe the Whipper from Dhu Varren is younger than me, if he's still living. I don't think the Whipper who worked in Mackies ever turned Pro but stayed an Amateur all his wrestling days.

I believe people are getting mixed up with the real `Whipper Watson`, who also wrestled in Belfast as part of the wrestling circuit of the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqpbf-t9HpAhWaRBUIHe5oA80QFjAAegQIDxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWhipper_Billy_Watson&usg=AOvVaw3phX4OzHDDKwxLeWKqIsr-
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #19 on: Today at 09:46:06 AM »
Jack you are right the whipper from dhu varren definatley wasn't born in 1920 the last time I seen billy was on the woodvale he looked a bit forlorn I think he was living on his own.he was a really nice bloke.