Author Topic: Birth Mother  (Read 364 times)

Waterfall

Birth Mother
« on: April 24, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
I am looking for any information on my birth mother. Her name was Annie Elizabeth Barter and she was born on May 12, 1937.
Her family lived at 47 Avon St.
I have written to the Northern Ireland Office looking for her birth certificate but she can't be found. I know the family is Catholic and she came to Canada in 1955 .
I'd appreciate any information from anyone.
Thank you,
Kathy
P.S. I think also the family name "Greystone may be related.

CMcG

Re: Birth Mother
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »

I am looking for any information on my birth mother. Her name was Annie Elizabeth Barter and she was born on May 12, 1937.
Her family lived at 47 Avon St 

According to street directories and death notices, 47 Avon St in the period prior to your stated birth year of 1937 was the home of an Isabella and (late) Francis Johnston.  47 Avon Street was the address when Francis Johnston died in 1923.  The 1932 street directory listing for Avon Street showed: 47. Johnston, Jas., labourer, the 1939 and 1943  street directory listings for Avon Street showed: 47. Johnston, Mrs. Isabella.

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm

When Isabella Johnston died in 1946, one of the newspaper death notices was placed by her grandson Robert Watton, of 47 Avon Street.  The 1951 street directory listing for Avon Street showed: 47. Watton, R., labourer

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:21 PM »
In the UK outward passenger lists for 1955, I'm seeing Avoca Street, not Avon Street  ???

What is your source for Avon Street?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
In the UK outward passenger lists for 1955, I'm seeing Avoca Street, not Avon Street  ???

If it should turn out to be Avoca Street rather than Avon Street, note that its street directory listing on either side of that 1955 sailing shows the following:

1951: 47. Ferguson, Alfred, carter
1960: 47. Ferguson, Mrs. Elizabeth

Here are the death notices for Alfred in 1959 and Elizabeth in 1974, in case any detail rings a bell:

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
Waterfall,
Trying a different avenue. The surname Barter.... not very common.

Please have a look at the following, are there any bells ringing, could J.P. Barter have been your Grandfather?

Waterfall

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »

Hi, I went back and found 47 Avoca St, you were right.