Author Topic: Abbot Street  (Read 389 times)

donmaccal

Abbot Street
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »
I had an ancestor living at 53 Abbot St. in 1890 in Belfast. It was off of Lavinia St. which was off Ormeau St. I understand neither of these streets exist any longer. Are there new names? Where might these streets have been? Neighborhood name?? thanks

bjay

Re: Abbot Street
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
Abbott Street was located approximately where Cooke Court and Lagan Fold is nowadays.

donmaccal

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
Thank you. I take it that this neighborhood has undergone urban renewal with construction of new streets at some point in time. I also assume that the housing that existed in 1890 was demolished and new housing built thereon?

Funny, but when I visited Belfast around 5 years ago, I stayed at a B&B not far from there, unbeknownst to me at that time! I thought my ancestor lived in a neighborhood north north west of the Titanic Museum near a fancy hotel/restaurant up a hill.

Any idea if any old photos exist anywhere on line of this original neighborhood?

bjay

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
In the mid 1960's there were plans to put a major road through the locality and the area was blighted. Abbott Street ran from Lavinia Street to the railway line with the gasworks on the other side. The road plans were subsequently shelved. In the 1970's the old housing was demolished and new houses built. I believe there were earlier post regarding Abbott Street on the forum.