Author Topic: Army Search  (Read 157 times)

seanog

Army Search
« on: May 20, 2020, 07:31:25 AM »
Peter Rooney, born 1871 in Banbridge Joined the army at an early age.  Where should I start to find his military service record.
Seanog

Nick Keene

Re: Army Search
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
Peter Rooney, born 1871 in Banbridge Joined the army at an early age.  Where should I start to find his military service record.
Seanog

Seanog, you really have stepped into a minefield my friend and I wish you every success. The internet has a plethora of information recording the relationship of Ireland's contribution to the Armed Forces and war. Rather than me attempt to step into it, I think the link here attached is a reasonably accurate guide for you to be able to start to follow in your quest. If I could give you one piece of advice, do not try and be too specific when you search. Many times the accuracy in records can be very distinct and if for argument's sake you look for a Peter Rooney, born 1871 and the records maybe have him recorded as P.J Rooney, or even a conflict in dates, you will likely miss it. Be thorough when you read hints and pointers and do not be too quick to presume the one you have is necessarily the correct one. Anyway, give this a try and good luck:[size=78%]https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/[/size]