Author Topic: Hanna  (Read 284 times)

ella

Hanna
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:53:31 PM »
My grandfather is buried with his great great grandfather at presbytarian trinity church Ballygowan. They are both Andrew I canít find the son of the great great great grandfather who is also Andrew.  The great great great grandfather was born 1801 and died 1873. His wife is Agnes ?
My great grandfather is Matthew ,his brother is Andrew and john. Brought up in crossbar.
There are so many Andrews ,Iím lost. Can anyone help ? Who lives in the crossbar area?

Elwyn

Re: Hanna
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:09 PM »
 Ella,

I have read your post a couple of times but canít follow it. It reminds me slightly of one of those puzzles you used to get in Christmas crackers, which said something like: ďMy brotherís uncle is my fatherís son. What relation am I?Ē

You have said: ďI canít find the son of the great great great grandfather who is also AndrewĒ. So you are looking for an Andrew Hanna. But I have no clear idea of when he was born or may have died. And what information are you looking for? Who was he married to, what was his occupation or townland? Anything you can do to make this a bit clearer would be most helpful.

Elwyn

ella

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:33 AM »
I  assume Andrew Hanna born in 1801 had a son Andrew about 1823. He had three sons john born 1844 Matthew born 1851 and Andrew born 1853.   In the census john and Andrew lived in crossgar. John was a railway station master Andrew a farmer. John is buried in annahilt church yard  Matthew was a blacksmith.  I know everything from Matthew down,but Andrew in 1801 ,his wife is Agnes but donít know her surname. I know , itís very confusing for me to get this far.

ella

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:48 AM »
When I went to Belfast telegraph to find out where john and Andrew were buried ,they said if Andrew died over a weekend it wouldnít be in the paper.  (In those days)

sam barry

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
Just out of interest, could this be a relative ?
From the LARNE TIMES, Saturday 31st December 1910.
HANNA.
Wanted to know if Samuel James Hanna, who went to America on the February 28, 1906,
he returned to Liverpool on May 26th 1907. No word of him has since been heard.
His mother and Father are anxious to know his whereabouts.
He belonged to Crossgar, Co.Down.
Reply to John Hanna Crossgar, Co.Down.

Just for your information.

sam barry

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
Just out of interest, could this be a relative ?
From the LARNE TIMES, Saturday 31st December 1910.
HANNA.
Wanted to know if Samuel James Hanna, who went to America on the February 28, 1906,
he returned to Liverpool on May 26th 1907. No word of him has since been heard.
His mother and Father are anxious to know his whereabouts.
He belonged to Crossgar, Co.Down.
Reply to John Hanna Crossgar, Co.Down.

Just for your information.

Reading the article again , it may not be your "Hanna's", they mention, Dromara, so they could be referring to "Upper Crossgar" which is a townland near Dromara.

ella

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »
I donít think so. Do any of you know if I can go to proNi. And  get records of johns service in the railway?

Elwyn

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 05:40:44 PM »
     Crossgar was part of the Belfast & County Down rail system which closed around 1950 and which was absorbed into the UTA (Ulster Transport Authority). There are some UTA records in PRONI.

UTA/11/K/2 are staff records covering 1869-1903 and UTA/11/K/3 cover 1899 Ė 1911/ Might be worth looking at those.

Elwyn

ella

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:10:24 PM »
Thank you!!

JimG

« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:00:01 AM »

Hello Ella You have done extraordinary well so far.  however your information doesnít quite add up for your gt gt grandfather Andrew Hanna , so if I am wrong please forgive me and move off my presumptions
your grandfather is Andrew Hanna b~ 1878 or a Matthew  Hanna b 1882 either who is buried with gt gt grandfather Andrew
your gt grandfather is Matthew  Hanna b~1851 brought up Crossgar Kilmore civil parishand moved to belast area before 1875  m ~1875 Elizabeth Downes
your gt gt grandfather is Andrew Hanna whose b and marriage you need ,worst estimate 1826 and d 1923 so aged 97 whose children were brought up in Crossgar.  A PRONI WILL has  Andrew Hanna of Market Square Crossgar county Down farmer died 17 March 1923 [is this as dated in 'Trinity Presbyterian Church'?} Administration Belfast 9 May to Matthew Hanna blacksmith. Effects £235. [Which Matthew father the ( most likely) or his son]
your  gt gt gt grandfather is Andrew Hanna b 1801 d 1873 who is buried with Agnes both dying same dates?! did a burial book survive? An Andrew Hanna is listed  in Ballygowan Comber is listed in 1863 as a house holder in 1863 Griffiths Valuation.  He has a neighbouran Andrew Hanna [either himself or two Andrews[ in. Edenslate which is the NW neighbouur townland to Ballygowan.  PRONI has continuation valuation books that will trace what happened to both plots of land or building

However the census 1901 gives
1901 census 17 in Ballygowan (Ballygowan, Down)
Andrew Hanna [b ~1841-2]   59  Male  Head of Family  Presbyterian  County Down  Agricultural Labourer  Read and write  -  Married  - if he was 69 and so b 1831 all is well otherwise he cannot be a father aged 10 that Andrew I couldnít findin 1911

Are you related to the current or recent Hanna of Ballygowan see Google? Tractors, childminder etc ..they may have family history done?

I think an earlier ancestor might be Moses Hannah in Annahilt listed in Flaxgrowers of Ireland seehttps://www.failteromhat.com/flax/down.php have you considered  him?
The tithes in Annahilt 
Hanna, John Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1829
Hanna, John, Jr. Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1829
Hanna, M. Townland: Ballylintagh Year: 1829
Hanna, Saml. Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1829
Hanna, Samuel Townland: Carricknadarreff Year: 1829
Hanna, T. Townland: Magharaconluce Year: 1829
Notes: Thos.
Hanna, Wm. Townland: Carricknadarreff Year: 1829
in Comber
Hanna, Robert Townland: Comber Year: 1835
Hanna, William Townland: Ballymaglaff Year: 1835

'Trinity Presbyterian Church'  Built in 1838 as a Trinitarian" Presbyterian Church. At this time the 'Old Light' versus 'New Light' debate was at its height. The Church, originally on the outskirts of the village, now occupies a central position as it has become surrounded by the recent village expansion.
Microfilm of Ballygowan Presbyterian Church Registers are held
in the Public Records office under reference MIC 1P/406 and
contain Baptisms, 1870-97 and Marriages, 1845-1900
this info from the church, I tried church records PRONI downloadable Guide to church records BALLYGOWAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, CO. DOWN [see under KILLINCHY]
however under Killinchy I could not find it. Ros Davies has Records from 1860, gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 5; [should be in relevant reference library] oldest stone 1839; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up
http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/ballygowan.html
North of Ireland FHS http://www.nifhs.org has Baptisms 1856-1922; Marriages 1845-1925
I have more on John heres my starter
John Hanna b 1844 Samís info on Samuel James Hanna, surely is a son who went to America on the February 28, 1906, [I searched English and irish cenus 1911 without success for him] the reply would not have gone to Dromara so his birth needs to be found
c1901 census 64 in Crossgar (part) (Crossgar, Down)
Hanna John 50 b~1850-1Male Head of Family Presbyterian Co Down Farmer in 1879Read and write
Ella says John is buried in annahilt church yard  son of john on marriage record that is a surprise! it could mean we have the wrong parent or the wrong John] m 20 Nov 1879 Hillsborough Presbyterian church in parish of Hillsborough Hanna Mary Patterson formerly Jamison 40 b~1860-1 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Down Read and write Married witnessed Robert Jamison and William Hanna- Who is William
children
Hanna Samuel 20 b ~1880 Male Son Presbyterian Co Down Farmer's Son Read and write - Not Married -if he is Samuel James Hanna b 8 Oct 1880 his mother is Mary Patterson Jamison who m 1879 in Co Antrim. her father Francis he is a railway porter in 101 census in West Derby  Lancs
Hanna Mary Elizabeth Patterson  17 b 3 May 1883 Crossgar Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Farmer's Daughter Read and write - Not Married -
Hanna Agnes 5 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Scholar Scholar - Not Married -
Hanna Sarah 5 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Scholar Scholar - Not Married
stopping hoping a fresh eye is helping!

[/b]

ella

« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:44:32 AM »
Andrew Hanna 1801 to 1873 ,his wife Agnes died 1875. Donít know when she was born.or her maiden name.
I have  been to the graveyard and seen the headstone. And they told me my grandfather was buried there plus his sister.  I got the death notice in the Belfast telegraph for john.
Who died on the 10th July. Who left his money to his brother Andrew, who in turn left it to his brother Matthew .
John was a station master ,not married . Andrew was a farmer not married. I have all the info on Matthew. His wife was Downes from downing st.

ella

« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:45:59 AM »
John is buried at annahilt Glebe churchyard.

JimG

« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:31:46 PM »
thank you for your replies. i dont think i can help further 
over to others
good luck onwards

ella

« Reply #13 on: Today at 02:01:17 PM »
Thanks for trying!!!