Author Topic: Looking for information on a Robert Johnston  (Read 478 times)

Leannejo

Looking for information on a Robert Johnston
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:38:54 PM »
I am currently looking into my dad's family history; I am struggling to find any information on his biological father.  My dad was adopted as a very young child by his maternal grandfather and grandmother. What I have been told about his biological dad is that his name was Robert Johnston, he was from the Whiteabbey area he had a brother called Tommy Johnston (who was married to a Susie Johnston). We don't know of any other family members.  My dad remembers being between 8-10 years old and being taken to his dad's funeral.  My dad was also told his dad died in the Chimney Corner pub; this would have been around the late 1960s going by my dad's age at the time.   My dad believes Robert was a barman at the Chimney Corner.  Hope someone can help  ??? :)

Bread Basket

Re: Looking for information on a Robert Johnston
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:43:53 PM »
I am currently looking into my dad's family history; I am struggling to find any information on his biological father.  My dad was adopted as a very young child by his maternal grandfather and grandmother. What I have been told about his biological dad is that his name was Robert Johnston, he was from the Whiteabbey area he had a brother called Tommy Johnston (who was married to a Susie Johnston). We don't know of any other family members.  My dad remembers being between 8-10 years old and being taken to his dad's funeral.  My dad was also told his dad died in the Chimney Corner pub; this would have been around the late 1960s going by my dad's age at the time.   My dad believes Robert was a barman at the Chimney Corner.  Hope someone can help  ??? :)

Can you provide any further information, eg, any idea of a Street names where relatives lived... house numbers, also can your Dad remember the street where he grew up.... any little snippet of info may be key to unearthing the information that you are seeking

Leannejo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
We know very little about my dad's paternal side of the family. As he lived with his grandparents from around a few months old. His mum Ida Coker Johnston was married to Robert Johnston, they had another son Barry Johnston and then split up. They divorced when my dad was around 7. My dad was brought up in and around Charleville Street in Belfast.  The only time my dad can remember seeing his biological dad was on the day of his funeral. We think Roberts mum was called either Nessie or Nellie but we can not be sure. Sorry that we have so little to go on.

Leannejo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
I have just found out that my dad's biological dads full name was Robert James Johnston. He married my dad's mum Ada Coker in or around 1956 and they lived in Charleville Street. His profession on my uncle's birth certificate was giving as a chef.