Author Topic: New GAA Club for East Belfast  (Read 1239 times)

Bigali

Re: New GAA Club for East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »
Yes, I’m sure you know nothing about it. Some unionists don’t like the fact that Linda Irvine (a Protestant from East Belfast) is supporting the initiative by the East Belfast club.

Ok . I’ve posted a couple of times on this thread in a slightly mocking manner regarding a revival of a GAA club in East Belfast but in reality I don’t have a problem with it . My own and a lot of others from a Unionist background attitude towards the GAA took on a different slant when Croke Park opened the gates to the “garrison game” when the Irish Rugby Team needed a venue during the redevelopment of Landsdowne Road . The scrapping of Rule 21 also helped but you have to agree that the GAA still have some way to go as an organisation before being embraced by the Unionist community in the same way that the Unionist community has some work to do towards being accepting of Gaelic games in what is a largely but not exclusively Unionist Protestant area.

Constable Peadar Heffron is a case in point , a talented Gaelic footballer who played for his local club in Randalstown and , wrongly in my opinion, was used as a poster boy for the newly formed PSNI GAA club . He was over exposed and to use the parlance so fondly used by many on this forum the dogs in the street know he was fingered by members of his own local club in Randalstown for murder . Fortunately he survived the booby trap that exploded underneath his car but left him with absolutely horrendous life changing injuries.

The attitudes like people in Peadars home club need to change before Protestants even think about going to watch hurling , football or camogie never mind thinking about playing Gaelic games in the same way that there are those in the Unionist community who need to change their attitudes regarding thinking that it’s ok to set fire to remote rural GAA clubhouses.

I’m not being deliberately negative, just realistic, but I believe it will take a couple of generations of hard work from both sides before any Gaelic games are accepted in what is , not perceived but actually, mainly Protestant areas not just in Belfast but in Northern Ireland as a whole .

Both communities play Association Football but as in the case of GAA clubs in Unionist areas, how many Rugby or Cricket clubs do you know of in West Belfast, Bellaghy , Swatragh , Dungiven , Newry , Carrickmore or Pomeroy ? It can’t be just a one way street with Nationalists demanding the right to play GAA in areas where the population is largely Unionist , Unionists also have the right to demand that the Protestants in a largely Nationalist area have also the right to be allowed to play “garrison games” like rugby and cricket without hindrance.

The North West can maybe used as a good example of cross community sporting acceptance  where every hole in the hedge you come to has a cricket pitch and a small clubhouse and members from both sides of the community on the local team.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Orior

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
I've become immune to your mocking, but thanks for the honest post anyway.

With the re-establishment of gaelic in east Belfast, maybe we will see football and hurling played again in Larne and Bangor.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

allymac

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
Do you mean real football or hand and foot ball?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Bigali

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
I've become immune to your mocking, but thanks for the honest post anyway.

With the re-establishment of gaelic in east Belfast, maybe we will see football and hurling played again in Larne and Bangor.

Do you not agree with anything I said about the need for it to be a two way street and not just one way ?
No intelligent adult discussion regarding any of the points ?
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
Ok . I’ve posted a couple of times on this thread in a slightly mocking manner regarding a revival of a GAA club in East Belfast but in reality I don’t have a problem with it . My own and a lot of others from a Unionist background attitude towards the GAA took on a different slant when Croke Park opened the gates to the “garrison game” when the Irish Rugby Team needed a venue during the redevelopment of Landsdowne Road . The scrapping of Rule 21 also helped but you have to agree that the GAA still have some way to go as an organisation before being embraced by the Unionist community in the same way that the Unionist community has some work to do towards being accepting of Gaelic games in what is a largely but not exclusively Unionist Protestant area.

Constable Peadar Heffron is a case in point , a talented Gaelic footballer who played for his local club in Randalstown and , wrongly in my opinion, was used as a poster boy for the newly formed PSNI GAA club . He was over exposed and to use the parlance so fondly used by many on this forum the dogs in the street know he was fingered by members of his own local club in Randalstown for murder . Fortunately he survived the booby trap that exploded underneath his car but left him with absolutely horrendous life changing injuries.

The attitudes like people in Peadars home club need to change before Protestants even think about going to watch hurling , football or camogie never mind thinking about playing Gaelic games in the same way that there are those in the Unionist community who need to change their attitudes regarding thinking that it’s ok to set fire to remote rural GAA clubhouses.

I’m not being deliberately negative, just realistic, but I believe it will take a couple of generations of hard work from both sides before any Gaelic games are accepted in what is , not perceived but actually, mainly Protestant areas not just in Belfast but in Northern Ireland as a whole .

Both communities play Association Football but as in the case of GAA clubs in Unionist areas, how many Rugby or Cricket clubs do you know of in West Belfast, Bellaghy , Swatragh , Dungiven , Newry , Carrickmore or Pomeroy ? It can’t be just a one way street with Nationalists demanding the right to play GAA in areas where the population is largely Unionist , Unionists also have the right to demand that the Protestants in a largely Nationalist area have also the right to be allowed to play “garrison games” like rugby and cricket without hindrance.

The North West can maybe used as a good example of cross community sporting acceptance  where every hole in the hedge you come to has a cricket pitch and a small clubhouse and members from both sides of the community on the local team.
I.m old enough to remember when clifonville cricket club had a great ground across from the football ground until the troubles forced them out