Author Topic: Ard Scoil  (Read 413 times)

pbgray

Ard Scoil
« on: June 05, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »
My father, now 99, played the accordion for the Ard Scoil Band in the 1930 and 1940s until he emigrated to the U.S. Would anyone have any photos of the ceili band in those years? I would truly appreciate any help with this. He is active and smart as a tack at 99, and we're trying to put together a photo exhibit of his life for his 100th birthday in November.
Sincerely, his daughter,
Patricia

Bread Basket

Re: Ard Scoil
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
Hi Patricia,
Amazing that your Father is nearing to celebrate his 100th birthday, I hope that all goes well with your research and that you can muster a few memories for him.

Here are a few snippets from local Belfast newspapers of that time. It may be worth attempting to contact BBC Northern Ireland Archives and see if any recordings remain when the Ard Scoil Band played on Radio.

The 3 image.   you will see that the article mentions a Mr Rory Broderick.... well the 4th image shows Rory at a Broderick wedding around 1970ish.

May I ask, what is your Fathers name and iíll do a quick search on him just in case there is an article about him in the newspapers. If I find anything I will let you know.

Good luck

pbgray

Re: Ard Scoil Ceili Band
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply! My father's name is Peter J. Bellew, born in Nov. 1920; he lived in Lismore for three years after the war and played several times a week for the band. He's quite an extraordinary fellow. After moving to the U.S. in 1948, he co-founded the Gaelic American Club of Fairfield County to promote Irish music, dancing and culture here in the U.S. Now, the club has 5,000 members and a multi-million dollar clubhouse here in Connecticut.
At 99, he is so active and independent that he is featured on a billboard advertisement -- riding a jetski with his girlfriend--  for the local hospital along I-95, the big interstate highway. (Tried to attach photo of the billboard but can't quite figure it out ...) So his 100th birthday party will be quite the event! Thx again for your help, Patricia

Redkate

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »
Congratulations on your Dad's birthday Patricia, Rory Broderick was my uncle he was my father's brother and a lovely man, who spoke fluent Irish and also wrote some lovely poetry.  I remember the Art Scoil myself as a young child in Belfast.  breadbasket has been wonderful to me too at finding great data.  cathy Broderick

pbgray

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
What is breadbasket? I've never heard of that...
Patricia

Redkate

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 06:24:40 PM »
Patricia good morning, BreadBasket is the name of the guy trying to locate any docs. for your Dad, like I am RedKate.

pbgray

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »
Oh! Sorry! I didn't realize that! Thx,
Patricia

Redkate

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »
I am glad someone else thinks like me. .my head is away at times.  Good luck with your Dads stuff, it must great to have him around to celebrate such a wonderful occasion.  cathy