Author Topic: Dickson Family  (Read 266 times)

EllemKBC

Dickson Family
« on: June 18, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
I have been trying to work on my Paternal family tree & I am stuck!
My father was born in Belfast in the 1940s & emigrated to Canada (on his own) in maybe the late 60s. However, I can not find ANY information on him at all. No birth records, nowt.
I am certain he was born in Belfast as it says so on my birth certificate!
I am very keen to locate any family - so if anyone has any guidance, please advise where I can go from here. And if anyone knows of any Dicksons (first names Hugh, Daniel) Please let me know. Daniel was my Uncle I believe born 1959 & died 1990.
Thank you so much.

Bread Basket

Re: Dickson Family
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
Hi there,
Unfortunately you are going to struggle with online records. There are rules which govern information for online Births Deaths and Marriages, they are know as the 100 year rule for Births, 75 years for Marriages & 50 years for Deaths.
However if you have a relative or friend in Belfast then they can attend the offices of GRONI and research your relative. You can also contact GRONI and they may be able to search the records at a cost to you. You can also make contact with a local researcher who may be able to carry out the search on your behalf and they will charge you a fee.

If you can supply any further information on your Father then some details may be found, eg, where did he live, names of parents including maiden names, siblings names, his occupation, religion, schools attended.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/general-register-office-northern-ireland

Good luck with your search

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »

EllemKBC

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »
Hi Bread Basket

Thanks for the reply & info.

I did find that information on Daniel Dickson. I think I have found some information on my Grandparents & Great Grandparents, but any other information is tricky to find. And everyone seems to have the same name, which also gets confusing!

I am hoping to visit Belfast in the hopefully not so distant future (excited much!) so will be able to hopefully follow up on anything I find.

Cheers

Janedickson

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:35 AM »
I have been trying to work on my Paternal family tree & I am stuck!
My father was born in Belfast in the 1940s & emigrated to Canada (on his own) in maybe the late 60s. However, I can not find ANY information on him at all. No birth records, nowt.
I am certain he was born in Belfast as it says so on my birth certificate!
I am very keen to locate any family - so if anyone has any guidance, please advise where I can go from here. And if anyone knows of any Dicksons (first names Hugh, Daniel) Please let me know. Daniel was my Uncle I believe born 1959 & died 1990.
Thank you so much.

Hi I am your aunt in law and live in Lisburn near Belfast. I know your dad had two children. I have photos of you when you were younger. Have plenty of info on your family roots.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:24:47 AM »
EllemKBC how lucky are you that you have found family so quickly!
Janedickson welcome to the forum
You each may wish to exchange information via personal messages but you won't be able to do that until you have each posted 3 times.  Just reply to each other here until you have enough postings and then you can PM privately (click on oothers user name for link).  Just thought I'd mention it
Have fun catching up!