Author Topic: trying to find ancestor  (Read 201 times)

unilove18

trying to find ancestor
« on: June 24, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
Here goes! Hoping someone can help me. So i have a ancestor that was baptised in St Patricks church on Donegall street. On the 25TH May 1927. The name on there is James Patrick McCaughey, sponsor was Brigid Regan. Mother was listed as Mrs agnes McCaughey, of 18 Great georges street belfast. His birth date was given as the 15th May 1927. However in brackets on the baptism cert it states ADOPTED by Mrs Agnes McCaughey. Birth mothers name was listed as MCKNOWS (NO FIRST NAME) So my question really is, How do i go about finding His birth record, i assume it would be under his proper name. I have tried searching for a mcknows but that surname doesnt seem to exist! Due to the time frame i dont believe he would have been "adopted" more like either bordered out from workhouse or it all done through st patricks. I have no clue to were to start.
If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it

laura

Re: trying to find ancestor
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:00 PM »
The baptism record I have seen doesn't mention anything about either parents or MCKNOWS.  It does however state in the remarks. 
Remarks: Parents unknown, adopted by Mrs. Agnes McCaughey of 18 Great George's St, married Mary Teresa Heaney 28/12/1950 St Peter's, Lurgan Have you tried asking St. Peters for any further information they may have on the church marriage register?  The other thing to bear in mind, is that he may not have been born in Belfast or indeed to RC parents.