Author Topic: Smyth family Ligoneil  (Read 289 times)

Bewildered

Smyth family Ligoneil
« on: June 30, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
Does anyone remember the Smyth family who lived in Ligoneil in the 1920s? They had sons Johnny and Jamesy and a daughter Minnie. Minnie worked as a doffer in one of the nearby mills. The family took in children who had been boarded out from the workhouse. Minnie and Johnny moved to Yorkshire in the 1930s (I think).

Re: Smyth family Ligoneil
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:55:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bewildered.  Do you know where they lived in Ligoniel?

Bewildered

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
Thank you for your welcome. I don't know where the family lived in Ligoniel. I only visited once, as a small child and my recollection is hazy. My father was one of the children boarded out to them and they brought him to England when they moved, I think in the 30s. My dad was called John McNally and another child they boarded was called Gerald Linton. They brought him to England too. Minnie's real name was Mary Agnes. I know it's a long time ago, I just thought someone might remember then.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »
I don't recognise those names but there are a couple of members who might be able to help.  ms is one worth trying.  If you want to send him a  personal message you will need to make another couple of posting before you are allowed to do so but a reply here and then perhaps another with any further info that might be helpful to others reading it.
Hope you find answers

Bewildered

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions. I found a family, surname Smyth with a daughter, Mary Agnes age 3, in the 1901 census. The address was Colligan Street, Falls Ward. This seems to be the family. In the 1911 census the family has changed their name to Smith and live in Callender Street, Falls. I've only just realised there is no 1921 census.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:21 PM »
Have a little peruse around this excellent site and see what you can find   https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions. I found a family, surname Smyth with a daughter, Mary Agnes age 3, in the 1901 census. The address was Colligan Street, Falls Ward. This seems to be the family. In the 1911 census the family has changed their name to Smith and live in Callender Street, Falls. I've only just realised there is no 1921 census.
How certain are you that these are the family?  Minnie was usually for someone named Mary Anne not Margaret but I could be wrong.   

Bewildered

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »
Again, thank you for your response and the link to another site. I'm not at all sure that these are the correct family on either census but the Mary Agnes shown was the right age. I always thought that Minnie's brother Johnny was a few years older than her but I can't find him on a census. I wish I'd asked the questions of friends and family when they were still around to answer. It's only as I've grown older that I've become interested.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
Does anyone remember the Smyth family who lived in Ligoneil in the 1920s? They had sons Johnny and Jamesy and a daughter Minnie. Minnie worked as a doffer in one of the nearby mills. The family took in children who had been boarded out from the workhouse. Minnie and Johnny moved to Yorkshire in the 1930s (I think).

You don't have to answer any of the following, but without some further nformation it really is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Just give the info you feel comfortable with.
How sure are you of the spelling SMYTH?

Who were the parents of Johnny, Jamesy & Minnie?  Were these legitimate children to the marriage?  Any rough dates on when they were born or expected ages in either census? (1901/1911 no other census to rely on).  Religion, occupations?

Do you know Minnie the daughter worked in a nearby mill, or is this what you have assumed from the two census you mention above?

Are Johnny & Minnie the children who moved to Yorkshire along with your Dad & Gerald, do you know where to?

Did James stay in Ligoniel/Belfast, did he marry?

Bewildered

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »
Hello again and thank you for your interest. I am sure of the spelling Smyth. I don't have a birth or death certificate for her but her mortuary card names her as Mary Agnes Smyth died 8 October 1964 aged 65. I don't know her mother or father's name or the legitimacy of the children born to the family who were Roman Catholic. I don't recall having heard anyone speak of her parents. Johnny, who I always thought was older than Minnie, died before her but I don't know when. I think he came to England - Halifax in West Yorkshire -first and Minnie and the two foster children followed. Jamesy had suffered mental health illness and remained in Purdysburn mental hospital until he died. Minnie spoke of being a doffer in a mill and I have a photograph of her that suggests that was true.