Author Topic: O'Hanlon/Grahams  (Read 817 times)

Bread Basket

Re: O'Hanlon/Grahams
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

Yep, looks like it was this Sarah who had the wee one in 1901.  Lepper St is also in the Parish of St Patrickís

Stinley

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Thanks, Breadbasket - I've managed to dig up a fair bit on the Grahams and the maternal side of that family too (O'Neills and Owens), but nothing on James O'Hanlon, beyond that he was a soldier at the time of his marriage in 1902, from Armagh, father James O'Hanlon - found a few possible army records but all inconclusive!

Where do you do these birth and death cert searches? I didn't get a hit for Mary (Eliza's) death cert. in 1922... did John Henry survive the bomb, like Martha?

Bread Basket

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
No mention of John Henry in the newspaper report.

Iíll have another crack at it later.... Grand children are after me here so I best put my iPad down   🤫🤣

Stinley

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 01:11:09 PM »
Have a great Christmas!

Bread Basket

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »

Although it does not mention John Henry by name I think it is fair to say that he very well may have been the 3rd member of the family who were playing in the street.
Eliza, Martha & possibly John Henry

Stinley

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »
Yes, I think I found his name once among the injured in a newspaper article, and corroborated in this historian's post on the bomb

(https://treasonfelony.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/the-weaver-street-bombing-and-not-dealing-with-the-past/)

but no sign of him beyond 1922 - Martha married, so she clearly recovered, but not sure about John Henry.

Bread Basket

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
Getting back to James.  comparing his wedding to Sarah.  states he is 32 years of age.  in 1911 Census he is still 32. 🤣🤣🤣

szwena

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
Hi there,
Martha O'Hanlon was my granny, she died in 1976. My mum was called Sarah (Sheila) after Sarah Graham.  I remember your grandfather very well, he lived round the corner from us.  We used to call him uncle Josie. He was deaf, I was told as result of an injury during the war, but now I am wondering if it was related to this bombing, we also had no idea of this.  I remember all the O'Hanlon sisters. Bridget, Sarah, Cassie and Aggie.  Sarah lived in her mums old house and Cassie lived next door. All the sisters and Josie were very close knit. I don't know much about Josies brothers. My mum would have kept in touch with Henry's family. The other was called jimmy, I just know he has family in North Belfast.  I did a bit of research into the tree but not much.  I will pm you my email address.
Martine

Stinley

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »
Hello!

I'll check the PM in a moment - great to be in touch.

My grandfather did lose his hearing and some of his sight in WW2 - I have the medical discharge card, so don't think he was injured in the 1922 bomb. I remember Aggie quite well - think she died when I was about four or five, but have vivid memories of visiting her house.

I've found a lot going a way back, mainly on the Graham side - I can't get further back on O'Hanlon's -- but all of it through research rather than family memories, as my grandfather died when I was little and my father only remembers bits and pieces.

I'll write to you on the PM tomorrow.

All best,

Karl