Author Topic: Gaelic football & other Celtic sports return to East Belfast, to all religions  (Read 2401 times)

James James

Bigali

So that's one

This is my point exactly, I expressed my views on another thread about the East Belfast GAA but they were flippantly dismissed by Orior without addressing my questions. As a resident of East Belfast I do not have a problem with a GAA club in the area providing its inclusive and welcoming to the Protestant Unionist community which is in the majority in the East , unfortunately gut feeling tends to lead me to believe that the re formation of this Club is driven by a cynical desire to be seen as being victims of Protestant discrimination against Catholics rather than a genuine desire to re establish Gaelic games in the area . Think along the lines of the Orange Order , Apprentice Boys or the Royal Black Preceptory trying to establish a new lodge on the Andersonstown Road round about where Connolly House and St Agnes Chaoel is .

Also , how many Rugby and Cricket clubs (Garrison games) are there in West Belfast ?
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Orior

So that's one

The GAA is not sectarian, hence we don't record religious denomination. But there are many teams and grounds named after protestants.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

allymac

The GAA is not sectarian, hence we don't record religious denomination. But there are many teams and grounds named after protestants.
It is seen as sectarian by many Unionists.Do they get grants if they are seen to be cross community?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Orior

It is seen as sectarian by many Unionists.Do they get grants if they are seen to be cross community?

Of course. Many GAA sports halls are used by other groups.

tours

Of course I condemn it , any right thinking law abiding citizen would condemn it , a bomb threat no matter from which side of the divide it comes from is a serious criminal act .

On a slightly different note Tours , do you think the new East Belfast GAA would welcome members of the Protestant Unionist community if they expressed an interest in Gaelic games ? I mean REALLY welcome them , I donít want the standard answer of the GAA is open to all , nor do I want to hear that other standard of Linda Ervine is a supporter.
I really do believe that members of the Protestant community would be welcome into the GAA.
Linda isn't just a supporter of the GAA, she is the President off East Belfast GAA.
If Protestants felt unwelcome, I would condemn it thoroughly.
Thoroughly...

Orior

Why don't you go attend a match and see for yourself if it is sectarian or is it just a sport?

Orior

This is my point exactly, I expressed my views on another thread about the East Belfast GAA but they were flippantly dismissed by Orior without addressing my questions. As a resident of East Belfast I do not have a problem with a GAA club in the area providing its inclusive and welcoming to the Protestant Unionist community which is in the majority in the East , unfortunately gut feeling tends to lead me to believe that the re formation of this Club is driven by a cynical desire to be seen as being victims of Protestant discrimination against Catholics rather than a genuine desire to re establish Gaelic games in the area . Think along the lines of the Orange Order , Apprentice Boys or the Royal Black Preceptory trying to establish a new lodge on the Andersonstown Road round about where Connolly House and St Agnes Chaoel is .

Also , how many Rugby and Cricket clubs (Garrison games) are there in West Belfast ?

Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph, where to begin with this. You cannoyt equate the OO and the GAA. The Orange Order closes down the six counties for two days every year while they celebrate protestant ascendancy. I'm pretty sure that the GAA does not close government, banks, roads, shops etc.

allymac

Of course. Many GAA sports halls are used by other groups.
As are Orange Halls.I've seen Gaelic matches on TV but I'm a bit put off by the Irish tricolours.

Orior

As are Orange Halls.I've seen Gaelic matches on TV but I'm a bit put off by the Irish tricolours.

What/who does the orange on the Tricolour represent?

vinnym

Think itís about time you both drew a line in the sand and finish this spat. Itís quite clear you have different opinions, and to be honest you have both drifted away from the original topic.

allymac

What/who does the orange on the Tricolour represent?
It apparently is there to represent Irish Protestants in Eire....well ,what's left of them.

allymac

Think itís about time you both drew a line in the sand and finish this spat. Itís quite clear you have different opinions, and to be honest you have both drifted away from the original topic.
If you disagree with the posts between Orior and myself then simply ignore them.They won't do you any harm

pete57

I wouldnt describe as 'drift ' I would rather interpret it as in keeping with the main theme .. yet ' dithering '  .when you dont subscribe to ' some peoples ' way of thinking you are labelled a bigot . The main title includes ... ' to all religions, .read political persuasions '...  when that is plainly not the fact   and so the debate began ... I agree with Allymac and BigAli.  ;)