Author Topic: Gaelic football & other Celtic sports return to East Belfast, to all religions  (Read 3034 times)

tours

Interesting read...

https://sharedireland.com/why-did-i-let-the-naysayers-get-to-me-linda-ervine/

Linda Irvine quote:
"hundreds of young people from all backgrounds coming together...."

Siege mentality, suspicious mentality, cul-de-sac politics, insular mindsets, narrow mindsets, distrusting mindsets, harping back to the past mindsets. .
... these are the past, and do a disservice to all Our kids.

Linda is a risk taker. Without overcoming risks, we would still be going to funerals each day.
Best wishes Linda.
Your traveling outside your comfort zone.
All the bigger you, for doing it. 👍👍

allymac

The GAA is not sectarian, hence we don't record religious denomination. But there are many teams and grounds named after protestants.
Would that include Orangemen,UDR men ,Policemen or British Servicemen of any description?Would it apply to "prods" of nationalist/republican persuasion?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Orior

Would that include Orangemen,UDR men ,Policemen or British Servicemen of any description?Would it apply to "prods" of nationalist/republican persuasion?

Happy to be proved wrong, but I donít there are any teams or grounds named after the UDR.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

cookstown

I stand to be corrected and i'm sure I will. I'm in my twi -light years but back in the day when I was a young lad I worked with several young catholic lads my age.  They all played gaelic sports as well as none gaelic sports e.g. soccer, rugby, etc.  They would come in to work on a Monday morning discussing how they were nearly caught on by gaelic officials patrolling the likes of Falls Park looking for them playing a foreign game i,e. soccer.  In that contex they were discriminating against other sporting activities, not on religion.  Credit to them for changing that policy.  I understand there was a lot of internal discussion when the Ireland Rugby Team had to play a match at Croke Park in recent years.  So I think there is more to it than Religion.  As a lover of all sport it is regrettable that religion is brought into sport.  However I'm a realist living in the real world.  It is what it is and we just have to try and do our best.
Cookstown