Author Topic: Liverpool Bar and Corporation Arms  (Read 1320 times)

Roy7

Liverpool Bar and Corporation Arms
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »
Would anyone have a photo of these bars from before the 1960s. They where at 44 and 47 Donegal Quay, either side of the Belfast Steam Ship offices.

Bread Basket

Re: Liverpool Bar and Corporation Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »

Roy7

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks Bread Basket.  That one is the Corporation Arms.  Anyone got the Liverpool Bar?.

city hall

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 12:00:07 PM »
I can't upload photos to this site (don't know how) but if you google the shooting which took place in the Liverpool lounge bar, Belfast on 26th August 1987 there is a news item on the BelfastLive website comes up which has a good picture of the Liverpool bar marooned in a sea of demolished buildings with what must be the Customs House building in the background.

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »
Well done City Hall 👍🏼

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »

Roy7

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
Last pic is the corner of Donegal Quay and the Queens Bridge.  You can see Tedfords which is still there today but as an eating house.

oneilln

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Hello Bread Basket - this is off-topic, but I'm a newbie and still navigating my way around the forum. You did some fantastic research on the O'Neill family from Spamount Street last year that I came across online by accident. Turns out you were researching my family! I posted a reply the other day. Feel free to contact me, I can't figure out how to send a direct message yet...

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
Hello Bread Basket - this is off-topic, but I'm a newbie and still navigating my way around the forum. You did some fantastic research on the O'Neill family from Spamount Street last year that I came across online by accident. Turns out you were researching my family! I posted a reply the other day. Feel free to contact me, I can't figure out how to send a direct message yet...
Hi there,
As you are new to the Forum it will initially not let you PM another member until you have made a few few posts... it’s supposed to combat the “bots”.  However in the meantime I will message you and see where we go from there. In saying that it is beneficial to all who use the Forum for the information to be available to all, hence looks like you have already gained some family info which is good news.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »

Fantastic photo, those drovers really had their work cut out getting those flocks through town.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

jillyfred

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
In the early `60`s I had a boyfriend in the Fleet Air Arm based in Helston.
I used to see him off after his leave to the Liverpool Boat-I think she left at 8.40pm in those days.
We always met early and went into one of the Dock Bars to get out of the cold!!!
This was when I was 16 and 17.However,I must say I loved those Bars-and the
different people who frequented them!Especially in the cold winter nights they were so cosy.
If my Father had ever known I would have been gated for life-looking back I did in my teens and early
twenties walk on the wild side-however,it was all so very innocent and the boys/men were always
caring and respectful.
Every generation has its own way of living.As my Mother said in her later years `I`ve had my day`.
So now I also can say the same.
Its sad to see the old bars and those who frequented them and the atmosphere of the
Docks lost forever-those leaving for Liverpool or Heysham not knowing to what they were going in many cases.
In conclusion-thank you for bringing back memories of a time in my youth that was very precious.
jilly

Den123

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 07:49:52 AM »
I can't upload photos to this site (don't know how) but if you google the shooting which took place in the Liverpool lounge bar, Belfast on 26th August 1987 there is a news item on the BelfastLive website comes up which has a good picture of the Liverpool bar marooned in a sea of demolished buildings with what must be the Customs House building in the background.

It's not the Customs House building, it's the Harbour Commissioners building.

Den123

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »

Does anyone know the name of the bar on the extreme left of the photo ?

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
The Red Star Bar
Doyle & Delaney were the publicans

1969 Street Directory