Author Topic: Police Stations Northern Ireland  (Read 491 times)

JohnKelly

Police Stations Northern Ireland
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:07:19 AM »
This topic will probably have little interest to those who do not live in Northern Ireland but I have an interest in police history which I thought I would share.

Here's hoping this topic doesn't end up in The Troubles and Other Controversial Topics.

Discovered this photo of the old Glengormley Police Station on F'Book which reminded me of the old Ballyhackamore Police Station and the old Newtownards Police Station,

While researching the topic I discovered this article and while its dated 2011 it shows a difference in policing in Northern Ireland by closing smaller police stations in favour of large police stations at a district level; the same is happening in my part of Australia.

https://www.4ni.co.uk/northern-ireland-news/136309/massive-police-station-closure-plan-revealed

The full list of proposed station closures is: Donegall Pass, Crossgar, Killyleagh, Saintfield, Comber, Donaghadee, Glengormley, Randalstown Dromore, Keady, Cloughmills, Bushmills, Dungiven, North Queen St, Knocknagoney, Hillsborough, Irvinestown, Beragh, Garvagh, Glenarm, Portglenone, Willowfield, Warrenpoint, Ballynafeigh, Holywood Dunmurry, Craigavon, Fintona, Castlederg, Eglinton, Broughshane, Cushendall, Portrush and Ballynahinch.

There is usually protests from the locals at the closure of their police station but the fact is that police stations do not go on patrol.

Orior

Re: Police Stations Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
Interesting topic. There was a lot of concern that by closing local stations the police would lose local knowledge. The dilemma was cost effective professionalism versus the comfort of hearing a local accent who knows the area intimately. Of course there were other areas where police had to fly into their station by helicopter so that argument was nonsensical.
There has also been a significant change in the types of crime. Burglary has declined and its much easier for criminals to steal your savings hence the set up of the eCrime unit. Some policemen never took kindly to change. They would rather throw their blackberry at a suspect rather than use it to do a criminal record lookup or vehicle check.
There must be a lot of history in the old police stations which were sometimes just converted town houses. Id say there are still a lot of purpose built stations which look very similar in design.
Finally, it would also be interesting to follow certain stations through the passage of time e.g. when Peel first set up the police here, through to the exit of the RIC, and then the barricades. Good luck.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pete57

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 10:11:54 PM »
Interesting topic. There was a lot of concern that by closing local stations the police would lose local knowledge. The dilemma was cost effective professionalism versus the comfort of hearing a local accent who knows the area intimately. Of course there were other areas where police had to fly into their station by helicopter so that argument was nonsensical.
There has also been a significant change in the types of crime. Burglary has declined and its much easier for criminals to steal your savings hence the set up of the eCrime unit. Some policemen never took kindly to change. They would rather throw their blackberry at a suspect rather than use it to do a criminal record lookup or vehicle check.
There must be a lot of history in the old police stations which were sometimes just converted town houses. Id say there are still a lot of purpose built stations which look very similar in design.
Finally, it would also be interesting to follow certain stations through the passage of time e.g. when Peel first set up the police here, through to the exit of the RIC, and then the barricades. Good luck.

The concern was they were not losing local knowledge because of ' closing '  .but by bombing and terrorist attacks on these ' outlying local stations ' .. you get the service and the support from the police through consent ... not by obliterating them and making then ' unservicable '    ;) ;)

Orior

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »
The concern was they were not losing local knowledge because of ' closing '  .but by bombing and terrorist attacks on these ' outlying local stations ' .. you get the service and the support from the police through consent ... not by obliterating them and making then ' unservicable '    ;) ;)

It would take a while longer for the people of XMG to be policed by ones from Bangor or Carrickfergus.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians