Author Topic: Gerry McCann from Divis/Lower Falls  (Read 521 times)

ConnorMSF

Gerry McCann from Divis/Lower Falls
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
Hey everyone,

Im in the process of obtaining my Irish passport (born and raised in the states), and am seriously lacking in knowledge about my dad's side of the family. His name was Gerry McCann from West Belfast (im sure he's not the only one), born in the late 40s and he passed away in 2009.

He lived most of his life in Belfast, with a fairly long stint in San Francisco, where I'm from.

Looking for any relatives or people who knew his family. He was a boxer earlier in life and was a banjo player.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Connor

James James

Re: Gerry McCann from Divis/Lower Falls
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
Where did he die. ? I.E., in which country. ? Do his death records state his date of birth. ?

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/births-deaths-marriages-civil-part/certificates.aspx

ConnorMSF

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:39:37 PM »
He died on 06/01/2009 in Belfast. Ive ordered his death certificate, but i know his DOB.

I've been trying to get his birth certificate (cant get my passport without it), but I dont know my grandma's maiden name

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
He died on 06/01/2009 in Belfast. Ive ordered his death certificate, but i know his DOB.

I've been trying to get his birth certificate (cant get my passport without it), but I dont know my grandma's maiden name
do you know when and where he was married?

Also, what was his DOB

ConnorMSF

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
do you know when and where he was married?

Also, what was his DOB

Yes, Belfast city hall in 1980

DOB was 06/10/1947

James James

James James

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »
His DOB was ... 06/10/1947     His DOD was ...  06/01/2009

So he was aged 61 and 3 months old when he passed.
I.E. he would have been 62 0n his next due birthday later in 2009.

Well, records can contain errors, and this may just be a coincidence, but it's worth bearing in mind in case you get stuck.

There is a record of death and burial in Belfast for ...

Gerard Mccann   aged 62 ... DOD 1 June 2009   ... Buried 3 June 2009 in Roselawn Cemetery Belfast.

Last place of residence   12 St Johns Close Belfast

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-ceremonies/burial-records/search-for-a-burial-record

Jim McCullough

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »
Connor, I just wanted to say that I knew your dad. I played many a tune and drank a fair few pints with him in the early to mid seventies. I can't tell you much about the family, but I know he had a younger brother, Jim, whom he looked after. There was no other family that I know of, so I presume his mother and father were dead. They lived in Mary Street in the Lower Falls area. If you use Facebook, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Falls Road group, so it might be an idea to try there. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your dad was a lovely fella with a very dry sense of humour that I really appreciated. He was a very good musician and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

ConnorMSF

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »
His DOB was ... 06/10/1947     His DOD was ...  06/01/2009

So he was aged 61 and 3 months old when he passed.
I.E. he would have been 62 0n his next due birthday later in 2009.

Well, records can contain errors, and this may just be a coincidence, but it's worth bearing in mind in case you get stuck.

There is a record of death and burial in Belfast for ...

Gerard Mccann   aged 62 ... DOD 1 June 2009   ... Buried 3 June 2009 in Roselawn Cemetery Belfast.

Last place of residence   12 St Johns Close

Thanks for your help. It could be a coincidence,  but I believe its him.

ConnorMSF

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
Connor, I just wanted to say that I knew your dad. I played many a tune and drank a fair few pints with him in the early to mid seventies. I can't tell you much about the family, but I know he had a younger brother, Jim, whom he looked after. There was no other family that I know of, so I presume his mother and father were dead. They lived in Mary Street in the Lower Falls area. If you use Facebook, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Falls Road group, so it might be an idea to try there. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your dad was a lovely fella with a very dry sense of humour that I really appreciated. He was a very good musician and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. Wishing you the best of luck in your search.

Thank you so much Jim, that sounds pretty much like the man I remember. He didn't really talk about those early years of his life much,  so i appreciate this message all the more. I flew out to see him two weeks before he passed (he'd been given until Christmas of that year,  but im glad we rushed out) and was able to glean some info about those times, but not much. Up until the end he was a joker and though his body had faded badly (he passed of lung cancer), it didn't stop him from cracking wise on his friend Billy,  us his children and the social worker helping him out.

I'll see if I can track down a Falls Road group on FB. If you have any stories or memories about him from that time, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again

James James

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »

ConnorMSF

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »

Thats him on the banjo, along with Kevin Brennan to his right and Brian Lynch to his left

ConnorMSF

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
If it helps, I've recently learned his brother was Eddie McCann and they were close with Patricia McKay, who was killed in 1972 by the army

Jim McCullough

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:51 AM »
Brian Lynch is definitely a Facebook user and would possibly be a source of information. I left Belfast over thirty years ago. Brian still lives in West Belfast. Incidentally, the guy to Brian's left in the photo is his big brother, Martin, who is better known these days as a playwright than as a singer/guitar player.

ConnorMSF

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 04:16:23 AM »
Brian Lynch is definitely a Facebook user and would possibly be a source of information. I left Belfast over thirty years ago. Brian still lives in West Belfast. Incidentally, the guy to Brian's left in the photo is his big brother, Martin, who is better known these days as a playwright than as a singer/guitar player.

Kevin Brennan (who came to America with my dad on the same trip)recommended me to him as well. Im gonna reach out to Brian in the morning.

Appreciate your input a lot Jim!