Author Topic: California Street and Basin Street  (Read 435 times)

Bungy

California Street and Basin Street
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:52:31 AM »
My family lived in California Street in the 1850's and 60's.  I can't find it on modern maps - was it where California Place is now?  Another family member lived in Basin Street - but I can't find that either. Does it still exist?  If not does anyone know where it was?

Bread Basket

Re: California Street and Basin Street
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »
My family lived in California Street in the 1850's and 60's.  I can't find it on modern maps - was it where California Place is now?  Another family member lived in Basin Street - but I can't find that either. Does it still exist?  If not does anyone know where it was?

Canít see a Basin St, just Basin Lane

California St still around in 1960

Hope this helps

Bungy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »
Many thanks.  That enabled me to get a rough idea where Basin Lane must have been - somewhere near Bankmore Street I think. There's an article on the libraryireland site regarding water supply to the city and apparently there was a reservoir in that area called the Basin.I'm still a little puzzled about the exact location of California St however. I see that it ran between Wall St & Old Lodge Road.  I can see Wall St on current maps but not Old Lodge Road. On which side of Wall St was it?

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:00:55 AM »

Iíll post a Map of Old Lodge Rd tomorrow  👍🏼

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »

Old Lodge Rd in Yellow

California St in Green

Peters Hill Baths in Blue

Bungy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:01 AM »
Wow, you are indeed a hero!  Many thanks.  It doesn't look to be an area for prosperous folk - so maybe 'corn dealer' wasn't a big deal.

Bungy

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 11:50:35 PM »
Not relevant to this post but I can't see how to get an answer to my problem.   How can I post a genealogy question to the forum?  When I tried to send a message to the Belfast Genealogy Board regarding family who lived in California Street I was told I wasn't allowed to do so!

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »
Not relevant to this post but I can't see how to get an answer to my problem.   How can I post a genealogy question to the forum?  When I tried to send a message to the Belfast Genealogy Board regarding family who lived in California Street I was told I wasn't allowed to do so!

Not sure who they are but ASK AWAY , the folk on this Forum help wher3 they can 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Street Directories are useful tools to find out who lived in a particular street in a particula4 year...just ask