Author Topic: William McAlpine, Hillman St and Limestone Road  (Read 614 times)

Alan222

William McAlpine, Hillman St and Limestone Road
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »
Hi, I am trying to find more information on William McAlpine who, according to the 1901 Census, resided in Hillman St. In 1911, he had moved to Limestone Road. (aged 14 and 23 in respective censuses).
I can't find any meaningful birth certificates on the GRONI website in order to establish a date of birth.
The father may have been called David, with the mother's maiden name Smyth. If so, date of marriage was 24/12/1875, with the father's death in 1898.

I believe William emigrated to USA, but in order to investigate further, I would need to ideally find a date of birth. Additionally, how do I go about checking shipping records?

Alan222

Re: William McAlpine, Hillman St and Limestone Road
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:15:47 AM »
Thanks - it looks like some of the surnames have lost the "e" off  McAlpine, which doesn't help.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 04:38:08 AM »
You’ll see these variations all the time. In the 1800s in Ireland people were rarely consistent with the spelling of surnames or place names. Many weren’t all that literate which accounts for some differences but even when they were, the idea of a single consistent spelling wasn’t something they bothered about. Expect the spelling to vary.

Regarding passenger records, by the way, try Ancestry or findmypast. They both have good sets of records.
Elwyn

Alan222

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »
I believe Canada was the destination, not USA

Alan222

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
I found some more information on William McAlpine. He was born on 28/03/1887, with the address at birth being 6 Ashton St, Belfast. He had moved to 160 Hillman St by the time of the 1901 Census and 68 Limestone Road by the time of the 1911 Census. The following clipping was sent to me (paper and exact date unknown) which I believe was from 1951:

"Mr Wm McAlpine, who assisted Distillery and Glentoran in pre-war days, is home on a visit from U.S.A., where he has been for many years. He was an Old Boy of the 21st Coy., and played in the B.B. League. I hope he will enjoy his visit to the homeland."

I would be grateful if anyone knew where William settled in USA and where he is now buried.

Alan222

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 08:35:58 AM »
I have managed to find William McAlpine on a passenger list to New York. Can anyone please advise how I should go about tracing his next steps in USA?

James James

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Hi, I am trying to find more information on William McAlpine who, according to the 1901 Census, resided in Hillman St. In 1911, he had moved to Limestone Road. (aged 14 and 23 in respective censuses).
I can't find any meaningful birth certificates on the GRONI website in order to establish a date of birth.
The father may have been called David, with the mother's maiden name Smyth. If so, date of marriage was 24/12/1875, with the father's death in 1898.

I believe William emigrated to USA, but in order to investigate further, I would need to ideally find a date of birth. Additionally, how do I go about checking shipping records ?   [/quote

https://www.findmypast.ie/articles/world-records/full-list-of-the-irish-family-history-records/immigration-and-travel/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960

Alan222

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
Sailed initially to New York on 07/07/23
and settled in Schenectady, New York.
The last record I can find of him is sailing back to USA on 29/12/34 after a trip back home. Still based in the same place.

Alan222

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
I found a further record from 1940 where he was working as an oiler and living in Norfolk, Virginia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.