Author Topic: Demolished convent on Oldpark Road?  (Read 389 times)

Apocalipzs

Demolished convent on Oldpark Road?
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »

I'm having difficulty tracking my grandfathers parents and would greatly value any input or further route I could follow.

My grandfather passed away in 2006 and he was adopted as a child to Dublin. My aunty hired a genealogist (has since retired) and we found out that my grandfather was born in what we were told was a sort of convent in 1927 - the address associated with this was 113 Oldpark Road, Belfast - we were informed this was demolished and the records were moved (unsure where).

It would be amazing if someone knew perhaps where these records were moved to? Or any other relevant information.

I've tried the PRONI maps with no success. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Elwyn

Re: Demolished convent on Oldpark Road?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
In 1924, 113 Oldpark Rd was a pawnbrokers. Donít see any convent listed near there:

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/nopcomplete1924.htm
Elwyn

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

I'm having difficulty tracking my grandfathers parents and would greatly value any input or further route I could follow.

My grandfather passed away in 2006 and he was adopted as a child to Dublin. My aunty hired a genealogist (has since retired) and we found out that my grandfather was born in what we were told was a sort of convent in 1927 - the address associated with this was 113 Oldpark Road, Belfast - we were informed this was demolished and the records were moved (unsure where).

It would be amazing if someone knew perhaps where these records were moved to? Or any other relevant information.

I've tried the PRONI maps with no success. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Hi there,
In order to help as best as they can it would benefit researchers if you could share the family details. Iím almost certain that the retired Genealogist would have passed on lots of detail so in order to progress then you will need to share some or all of the information

Morn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »
The nearest Catholic Church in the area is Sacred Heart, Oldpark Road, Belfast. Itís a long shot, but itís the parish church of the address you have for the convent. Someone there may be able to help, or perhaps suggest a lead

ushi

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »
There was a convent beside Mater Hospital Another in Clifton Ville Rd .Close to OldPark ,but it was a closed convent." The poor Clares " Another I recall at Ballysillan a school the convent of Mercy