Author Topic: Unresolved Cold Case Crimes In Northern Ireland  (Read 910 times)

stickleback

Unresolved Cold Case Crimes In Northern Ireland
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »

As a slightly embarrassed fan of Denis Farina's 30 yr old Unsolved Mysteries on channel 67 most days, I am wondering if any unsolved mysteries stand out in Northern Ireland. I am aware of two, which others might mention, if the thread garners any interest. Hopefully it will, because behind the statistics are tears and pain for the families of those who get forgotten in the everchanging news.

allymac

Re: Unresolved Cold Case Crimes In Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »
There are 100s of families in NI who will never know who killed their loved ones.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Orior

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »
There are 100s of families in NI who will never know who killed their loved ones.

On both sides
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ldugan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

As a slightly embarrassed fan of Denis Farina's 30 yr old Unsolved Mysteries on channel 67 most days, I am wondering if any unsolved mysteries stand out in Northern Ireland. I am aware of two, which others might mention, if the thread garners any interest. Hopefully it will, because behind the statistics are tears and pain for the families of those who get forgotten in the everchanging news.
Am also a fan of unsolved mysteries, currently watching it on Netflix’s.
One Northern Ireland case which is still unsolved is the 1973 murder of young Brian McDermott. His dismembered and burnt body was found in a sack in the River Lagan. Like another N.I. unsolved murder a member of the McDermott family was allegedly a suspect in his murder.
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

jillyfred

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
Am also a fan of unsolved mysteries, currently watching it on Netflix’s.
One Northern Ireland case which is still unsolved is the 1973 murder of young Brian McDermott. His dismembered and burnt body was found in a sack in the River Lagan. Like another N.I. unsolved murder a member of the McDermott family was allegedly a suspect in his murder.
[/quote
====
That was a horrendous murder Liz.
Whoever did it to the poor little child is not human.

jilly

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »

The murder of Brian McDermott sticks out in my memory.

We were the same age, or thereabouts. 1973.

I recall the huge billboard with Brian's face which read, simply: Someone Somewhere Knows Something

There was talk of occult involvement and The Copeland Islands, if memory serves me right.

I am aware of who the prime suspect now is but here is not the place to disclose it.

Yet I am baffled that Brian's death remains unsolved in the context of the prime suspect.

Obviously forensics have developed, to put it mildly.

tours

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »
With the attitude of Jude Whyte, so much more healing could be achieved.

http://www.judecollins.com/2020/09/forgiveness-and-victims-by-jude-whyte/

bjay

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »
I remember a local film company making a documentary on the disappearance of school children from Belfast in 1969 and 1974.
3 of the children attended special needs schools. 1 attended Oakleigh School Ravenhill Road and 2 were at St.Aloysius school in Somerton Road.
2 of the children went missing in September 1967 and 2 went missing in 1974. a neighbour was a police officer working on the disappearance of children.
his prime suspect was a well known paramilitary figure of the time, now deceased, who had links to North Belfast and East Belfast

Den123

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

The murder of Brian McDermott sticks out in my memory.

We were the same age, or thereabouts. 1973.

I recall the huge billboard with Brian's face which read, simply: Someone Somewhere Knows Something

There was talk of occult involvement and The Copeland Islands, if memory serves me right.

I am aware of who the prime suspect now is but here is not the place to disclose it.

Yet I am baffled that Brian's death remains unsolved in the context of the prime suspect.

Obviously forensics have developed, to put it mildly.

An appalling crime. Theories abounded at the time, Kincora ? A paramilitary leader who was a well known fruit merchant ? Even the young mans brother was a suspect ? Don't think we will ever find out now.

bjay

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »
The notorious suspect was linked to the murders of Brian McDermott and Patrick Benstead in East Belfast. Mr Benstead had special needs, and at the inquest it was said the victim had probably been branded with a hot iron and that the killing was had been depraved, savage and sadistic. The prime suspect attended a well known Doctor on the Ravenhill Road.

Den123

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
My Wife used to attend a well known Doctor on the Ravenhill Road. Can't remember his name, but he was one of the foremost Chiropractor's in the UK. Sorted the Missus out, no problem.

Den123