Author Topic: Drennan Family Belfast  (Read 1779 times)

Keith Campbell

Drennan Family Belfast
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:51:36 AM »
Looking for information on the "Drennan" family Lived in Battenburg St Belfast abt 1900 - 1950 My Grandfather was "George Dilworth Drennan" and worked in the ship yard all his working life from abt 1900 to 1955. He worked on the "Titanic" .Any info on Drennan" from belfast would be usefull.
today started like any other but then  ...

acheux_rifleman

Re: Drennan Family Belfast
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »
Hi Chris.

Got a Henry Drennan on my list for the South Belfast Volunteers:

DRENNAN, HENRY, 14362, RFN

Additional info shows he resided 300 Cupar Street.

One of yours??

Also have a Drennan 2 doors away from me. He was a piper with the Ulster Rifles in Borneo and then rejoined the UDR. I believe his family were from Belfast. Can ask him if he has any details if you wish??

Best Wishes,

Acheux

JimG

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »
much more detailed entires than these
Henry Drennan 300 CUPAR ST
Elizabeth Drennan 300 CUPAR ST
James Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
Richard Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
Annie Elizabeth Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
turn up in 1911 census see www.belfastfamilyhistory.com
goodluck Jim

Keith Campbell

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »
Hi Chris.

Got a Henry Drennan on my list for the South Belfast Volunteers:

DRENNAN, HENRY, 14362, RFN

Additional info shows he resided 300 Cupar Street.

One of yours??

Also have a Drennan 2 doors away from me. He was a piper with the Ulster Rifles in Borneo and then rejoined the UDR. I believe his family were from Belfast. Can ask him if he has any details if you wish??

Best Wishes,

Acheux

Hi Acheux thanks for the info My grandfathers brother was William Henry Drennan i know little about him other than he moved to Manchester Between the ww1 and ww2 do you have any dates ???

Keith Campbell

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »
much more detailed entires than these
Henry Drennan 300 CUPAR ST
James Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
Richard Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
Annie Elizabeth Drennan 246b CRUMLIN RD
turn up in 1911 census see www.belfastfamilyhistory.com
goodluck Jim

Hi Jim thanks for the info this might be useful i will look into it more i know little about My Grandfathers (George Drennan) family, his father was Charles Drennan he must have had brothers and sisters and they must have Had family but i know nothing about them. I have found out that the Drennan family lived at 48 Ninth Street in 1882 before moving to Sionmills then returning to 12 Battenburg Street before 1901.

bonkers82

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
I have drennans in my family tree.  I cant remember off hand the full details.  there is a thomas? drennan whose father I believe was charles drennan.  one of them died 1933 from what i can remember.  i would need to get out my folder tho to be sure

JackDrennan

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
Looking for information on the "Drennan" family Lived in Battenburg St Belfast abt 1900 - 1950 My Grandfather was "George Dilworth Drennan" and worked in the ship yard all his working life from abt 1900 to 1955. He worked on the "Titanic" .Any info on Drennan" from belfast would be usefull.

I am John (Jack) Samuel Beattie Drennan. My father was Also John Lunn (known as Jack or Jackie) Drennan
his father was Peter Hamil Drennan
My father owned a chip shop at 7 Shankill Road and the Dreneils fish shop on Peters Hill and lastly Fruit and Vegetable shop on the Shankill on the corner of Berlin Street opposite WestKirk Presbyterian
Peter and Agnes Drennan had a chip shop on the corner of Geoffrey st and Danube St.
My other grandfather, James Beattie had a grocery shop on  Danube Street.
Our Drennan’s came from Donaghadee

I think there was a marriage with Campbells.?

JimG

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 11:17:33 PM »

Part 1.  to add to the original Battenberg St Drennan line started by Keith Campbell in 2006 and whose last message was in April 2012 a draft tree
1. James ? Drennan  if Charles married in 1873 his father was James Drennan  see- https://www.ancestryireland.com/family-records/marriage-records-co-antrim-co- down/?search1=charles&search2=drennan&condition=begins&submit=Search
children
1.1. Charles Drennan b1853-6   45in 1901 census   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Belfast City   Engine Fitter1901,    Fitter in Shipyard 1911. Read and write      Married   - Grizella formerly Williamson (at Johns birth 1885 she appears to be named Lavenia formerly Williamson)b~1858   43   Female   Wife   Presbyterian   Belfast City   -   Read and write   -   Married   -
residence
1897 12 Battenberg St Woodvale Belfast see PRONI Streetdirectories
Residence 1901 6  Battenberg Street (Woodvale Ward, Antrim)
1911 29 in Battenberg Street (Woodvale, Antrim)
brother to William Henry Drennan who moved to Manchester bwtween ww1 and ww2
children William and George stated to be brothers
------------------------------------------------
1.1.1. William Henry Drennan b 4th July 1882 48 North Street Belfast Presbyterian Apprentice Engine Fitter1901 Read and write 1901 m 1907 2nd Qter Mary Cusack b 1886 India unknown {check British Army in India records
Residence 1901 6  Battenberg Street (Woodvale Ward, Antrim)
Residence 1911 Mechanic fitter17 York St Bradford M?C North ManchesterParish Lancs
children 7 born 4 living in 1911
1.1.1.1. George Drennan  b~9 100-1901 Lancs Manchester Brad
1.1.1.2. Kitty Drennan  b ~1908 Lancs Manchester Brad
--------------------------------------------------------
1.1.2. John Drennan b 28th Feb 1885 Sion (Mills) [his birthplace witness Eliza Kinkaid had to add her place of residence in margin} Presbyterian   Apprentice Ship Plater 1901   Read and write   -   Not Married   
-----------------------------------------------
1.1.3. George Dilworth  Drennan (b 1887-8 Co Tyrone from census}{ [there is birth for a george 24 June 1883 father William drennan and mother hanna Drennan formerly Russell in No 3 Faulkner St Belfast] had 3 daughters said KC so one of the daughters m a Craig?
Presbyterian   KC he signed the covenant in Glasgow in 1912. so try Scotlands people In 1911 was still in Belfast  aplater in shipyard
-----------------------------------------------
1.1.4. Unknown Drennan as listed by his mother living in 1911

additional notes by KC
My grandfather "George Dilworth Drennan" and his two brothers and also my Gt grandfather "James Drennan"worked for H & W My Grandfather served part of his apprenticeship on the Titanic he was a ships plater, and it is possible that he was one of the workmen who put the steel plates on the side of the ship that the iceberg hit. My Gt Uncle "John Dilworth" was a crewman on the sailing ship "The Polly Woodside" (built Belfast 1885) around 1910-15 the ship is still afloat in Oz see http://www.maritimeworld.net/sn.asp?PageNumber=118
my maternal grandmother was Margareta Drennan nee Howie DOB 10 Feb 1894 at 23 Matchet Street
theres more lookup his posts

Part 2 Drennans of Donaghadee in response to Jack
You probably know about Ros Davies Co Down website see http://www.rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/D/Dr.htm
here is an example
Private   J.A.   DRENNAN   .   Donaghadee   son of John & Annie Drennan of 2 Victoria Terrace, William St, Donaghadee; served with the Royal Irish Fusilers (1st Battalion) in France in the 1st World War; died 14 Apr 1917 aged 18 ; buried Etaples Military Cemetety, France   War Memorial, Donaghadee; CWGC
there appear to a focus of the name in nearby townlands Ballymacruise Ballyrolly, Drumfad in Carrowdore   in the census Down   see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Drennan Tombstones exist in Millisle Presbyterian, see www.ancestryireland.com Have you any idea of  your grandfather Peter Drennan dates ?
let us know some more detail if you want more of your Drennan family history?

JackDrennan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
Drennan’s of Donaghadee

I have details of the family of Favid Drennan born in 1865 or 75
And all his children and their children. But no details on the previous generation. David married Agnes Hamill and lived in Ballymacruise. He may have been the son of John Drennan but I have no evidence for this. Peter Drennan was born in 1904 his siblings were
Alice, Charlotte, Peter, john, Louis, adopted Peter Hamil andHugh Thompson was living with them in 1901 (1901 Census)

JimG

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 10:34:19 PM »

The family set out as a draft numbered tree among its sources to work on
1. John Drennan bbb 1850/1860 or a labourer of Donaghadee as given in marriage certificate
children
1.1. David Drennan born in 1865 or 75 familysearch.org has Birth registered for a David Drennan in Newtownards for both years
m 27th March 1896 Ballycopeland Presbyterian church Agnes hamill [a birth 24 May 1866 Donaghadee registered Newtownards] for a Agnes Hamill dau of Peter Hamill a tailor in 1896  and Charlotte Stewart both of full age witnesses Hugh Hamill and Maggie Drennan see https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10506/5826736.pdf Agnes grandfather named as David Hamill 1798 deceased see https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/portrait/MZZ6-PR1
[size=78%]no details on the previous generation. [/size]
1901 53 in Millisle (Carrowdore, Down)
David Drennan   36 Head of Family Presbyterian Co Down Tailor and Clother   Read and write m   - Agnes Hamill 34 Presbyterian Co Down   Tailors Wife Read and write sewer at time of marriage -
children their children listed plus
Thompson   Hugh   14   Male   Nephew   Presbyterian   Co Down   Farm Servant   Read and write   -   Not Married   -nephew to DD so a sister ofDD might exist m to a Thompson
Hamill   Peter   73   Male   Boarder   Presbyterian   Co Down   Talior   Read and write   -   Widower   -
Hamill   Vincent   13   Male   Step Son   Presbyterian   Co Down   Scholar   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
1911  census  2 in Ballymacruise (Carrowdore, Down)
David Drennan   36 and Agnes Drennan 15 yrs m  5 children born 5 living   
1.1.1. Alice Drennan 14   Presbyterian Co Down Read and write probably married 1919 see www.ancestryireland
1.1.2. Charlotte Drennan   Charlotte 12 Presbyterian   Co Down Scholar    Read and write   probably married 1919 see www.ancestryireland
1.1.3. David Drennan 10   Presbyterian Co Down Scholar   Read and write   
1.1.4. Peter Drennan 7   Presbyterian Co Down Scholar   Read and write   
1.1.5. John Drennan 3   Presbyterian   Co Down   -Cannot read   
1911 arrived after census
looks like Peter Hamill has died
geography The townland Ballycopeland sits over Ballymacruise with Millisle itself on the coast being a dividing line so lets go searching for Ballymacruise in the printed version of
1863 Griffiths Valuation of Ireland
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=&firstname=&offset=20&countyname=&parishname=&unionname=&baronyname=&totalrows=66&PlaceID=471936&wildcard=
Hugh Drennan in the village of Millisle in Ballymacruise map ref 46 23  who has Ho office and small garden valued  @£2 ten shillings pa But what relation to David is hugh?
Hugh Drennan outside the village of Millisle in Ballymacruise map ref 37 near Millisle presbyterian Church at 27a
Valuation Revision Books
VAL/12/B/23/10C (1883 - 1901)
starts digital numbering 9 out of 120 No 37 Hugh Drennan leaves Eliza mcMullamn takes ove
village millisle starts 18 of 120
21 of 120 Hugh Drennan leaves Eliza mcMullan takes over
39 John Drennan leaves a Elliott takes over in 1900 or1901 difficult to read
40b Peter Hamill taken over by Jasper carr in 1901
46d David Drennan takes over from Joseph Shanks in 1900 the annual valuation dropped from £2 15 shillings yearly to £2 pa. My eyesight is worn out so stopping,  so a possible clue might still exist by going to the two earlier books example to find any Drennan or Hamill
VAL/12/B/23/10B covering years 1876-1882
VAL/12/B/23/10A covering years 1866-1875

then why was the marriage in Ballycopeland Presbyterian church  Ros Davies great website says this about that church
Millisle Seceeders Presbyterian Church in the village in Ballycopeland townland The congregation was organised in 1773 in the Anti-Burgher Secession Synod & reunited in 1906. The minister 1823-1832 was Rev. Isaiah Steen. It was described in 1836 as a small building of insignificant appearance , measuring 50 feet by 27 feet and holding 100 people.The minister in 1843 was Rev. T.D. Moore & until 1845 was Rev. Samuel James Moore . North of Ireland FHS (www.nifhs.org) has baptisms1773 -1930 & marriages 1838 -1936; the Presbyterian Historical Society has Baptisms, 1773–1818 ( http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com/index.php?id=44) ; graveyard attached; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 15, oldest stone 1847; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up; also try http://www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/index.htm
For gravestone photos try- http://www.graves.homecall.co.uk/Ballycopeland/index.htm & http://www.northdownroots.co.uk/roots_gravestone.html
References; V7 p 49 OSM ; GIC; V17 MIs
good luck onwards

JimG

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 08:18:19 AM »
I missed out 1.1.6 Louis Drennan b after 1911 census.

JackDrennan

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Thanks Jim. Louis Drennan from Ballymacruise is part of our family. He was an uncle of my father.  Previous generation David Drennan. Maybe John was his father but might have been David