Author Topic: Looking for info on my Grandmother Mary McFarland  (Read 878 times)

Aussiegirl6

Re: Looking for info on my Grandmother Mary McFarland
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:55 AM »
Oh you're from my hemisphere? In that case,, good morning! I just assumed you were from Belfast or surrounds. I did google the address and yes, it does seem to be a flat.

I just tried to search for a death certificate but realised that it was under 50 years ago.

I'll just have to patiently wait till this Covid mess settles down and allows us to travel again so I can make a trip to Belast to complete some of that research.

Have a fabulous day.

Bread Basket

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
I presume that you are aware that you can apply for a copy of the certificate or buy credits at £2.50 per view.... then you can screenshot it 👍🏼

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 02:30:30 PM »
Hi Bread Basket,

Those newspaper notices are fabulous! Thank you so much. Where did you locate them?
The marriage certificate was the first thing I found on my grandparents and had to order a birth certificate for my Dad to confirm his mother's details as I only had a birth extract for him. After the marriage certificate I couldn't find much else on her although I was able to find birth, marriage and death certificates for her father and his siblings.
Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

Bread Basket

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Hi Bread Basket,

Those newspaper notices are fabulous! Thank you so much. Where did you locate them?
The marriage certificate was the first thing I found on my grandparents and had to order a birth certificate for my Dad to confirm his mother's details as I only had a birth extract for him. After the marriage certificate I couldn't find much else on her although I was able to find birth, marriage and death certificates for her father and his siblings.
Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

Glad to be of help.... i’ll Trawl some of the other names and addresses in the newspapers

wb54

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
Hi Aussiegirl6,
                      Just thinking about Harriet marriage, being a Roman Catholic she might not have
                      got permission to marry. Remember this was 1901/03 and pregnant.

Andrew was from a different church, and I see her children are not down on 1911
                      census as R C. Which could be a clue?   Could Mary have been born away from
                      Belfast?    Can’t find any birth or marriage in England.

Do you know where Harriet is buried? Might be a link there.
                      Best regards,       Billy.

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
Hi Billy,

Harriet was included in her parents 1901 census form living in East Belfast and Mary claims her age to be 21 on her 1922 marriage certificate (although that could be a fib [size=78%]) so I thought it unlikely she was born too far from Belfast.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]I have searched for Harriet's parents, Thomas and Mary Steenson's burial records but have come up empty so that's  interesting. Maybe they have been buried somewhere else and Harriet is with them. I know Thomas died in Feb 1915 but haven't found Mary's death registration as yet.[/size]
[size=78%]I will continue the search  [/size]

Have a great day

Tracey
[size=78%]
[/size]

wb54

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:29 PM »
hi Aussiegirl6,

Looking at Thomas & Mary Steenson family  1901 census plus 1911 the age is guest work.
                   I think that Thomas who died 1915 might be buired in Milltown Cemetery, can`t see him
                   in the City Cemetery records.  He was living with his son-in-law 1911.
                   He had 9 children born and 4 living, That gives 5 others.

You might have Steenson`s in the City cemetery as it belonged to the R C Church, who sold land to
                    to the City council.   Milltown is the biggest R C cemetery in Belfast.
                    It will be hard work finding graves with out full dates to go on.

The streets where the two sides of your family lived was called The Short Strand.
                    Swift St was not that far from there.
                    You can find other bits of stuff in the forum, think even on facebook.

My wife and her family has a link from early 1900/1980.
                   Best regards,          Billy

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
Hi Billy,

I've just done an extensive search for the 9 Steenson children and only managed to come up with 6 of their birth records and 4 death ones.

I searched the Belfast City Council site for the burial records at the cemeteries they manage but no luck there.
You maybe right about Milltown being where they are all located. I can't seem to find if their records are available to search online though.

I had been looking at Harriets death record and was thinking her living situation may have changed and not for the better.

I noticed her death was informed by a staff member rather than Andrew or another family member. Her death occurred only 8 months after the birth of daughter, Margaret and in that time her address had changed from 26 Comber St to 13 Comber.

I did a search on Lennon Wylie Belfast street directory site for the year of her death, 1906, and discovered that #26 was listed as vacant but #13 was not in the McFarlands name. It has me wondering if they were living apart by that time prior to her death.

Many, many mysteries for both Mary's birth and Harriet's death and final resting place.

Have a fabulous day,

Tracey

wb54

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
Hi Aussiegirl6,

Found Sarah Steenson baptism, 28 August 1878. St Matthew’s Church.
                     Who do you have, or better not have ?  Where was Thomas married?
                      We where married in St Matthews 1974.

The street directory is printed for that year, you would need to check
                      the next few years.  The books are in the main library in Belfast.

Milltown Cemetery belonged to the church but the admin is looked
                      after by a private company.  Check the threads for people who has
                       asked for help, it might be helpful to you.

Will see what other names I can find.
                       Best regards,       Billy.

wb54

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
Hi Aussiegirl6,

Sorry, I should have put September not August.
                     My fault, Billy.

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
Hi Billy,

I have located:
Ann, born 12th December 1867- death 28th November 1879

Margaret, born 8th May 1870

Anne, born 16th January 1873

Catherine, born same as above - death 11th December 1891

Harriet, born 28th March 1881 - death January 1906

Sarah, born 20th September 1878 - death 10th July 1901

As for Thomas and Mary's marriage place, it just states it as Holywood, Down, Ireland. No actual church has been mentioned.

I'll have a browse through the threads and see if there's anything helpful about Milltown.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Tracey

Bread Basket

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »
Tracey,
There are no online burial records for Milltown Cemetery.
However, if you know a date when a person died and obviously their name you can contact the Cemetery office by phone or by email.

Eg,
David Smith / Smyth (try and be precise with the spelling of Christian & surnames)
Died 24/06/1876 (unsure of date of actual burial)
Also address of the person if known
Finally, ask them to let you know if there are any others buried in the same Plot, if there are then ask for their names and they will then provide you with the details.

If the person is within their records they will provide you with a Plot Number, eg BD-61-A

The Cemetery is divided into 2 parts.  A&B as indicated on the map shown below
However to the normal, unfamiliar knowledge of an individual, that number means nothing so in order to be more precise you need to ask in your inquiry which Section that Plot BD-61-A in contained in.  in this example it lies within Section 9.

I have indicated (in green) Section 9 on the map.

Hope those instructions are not too complicated.

Contact details are,
[email protected]

+44 28 9061 3972[/font]

[/font]
Good luck[/font]
👍🏼[/font]

[/font]

wb54

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Hi Tracey,
                Ask some kind person for a look up for the death notices for Thomas
                could lead to where he is at rest.
                On his death it says, Patrick Murphy, son-in-law also Thomas is living
                with them in 1911.

I search the marriage for Patrick & Mary, 25 Dec 1889.
               Mary address as 18 Clyde St but has father down as John Steenson
               Labour. Alive.      Also Maggie Steenson as a witness.

Found a Margaret Steenson born 8 May 1870, located in Ballyhackamore.
               She was baptised 15 May 1870 in St Matthews Church.
               Sponsors name “ look like “. Ed Steenson & ? Connolly “ might be her maiden
               or married name “.  It’s hard to know.

Billy.

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 05:48:18 AM »
Tracey,
There are no online burial records for Milltown Cemetery.
However, if you know a date when a person died and obviously their name you can contact the Cemetery office by phone or by email.

Eg,
David Smith / Smyth (try and be precise with the spelling of Christian & surnames)
Died 24/06/1876 (unsure of date of actual burial)
Also address of the person if known
Finally, ask them to let you know if there are any others buried in the same Plot, if there are then ask for their names and they will then provide you with the details.

If the person is within their records they will provide you with a Plot Number, eg BD-61-A

The Cemetery is divided into 2 parts.  A&B as indicated on the map shown below
However to the normal, unfamiliar knowledge of an individual, that number means nothing so in order to be more precise you need to ask in your inquiry which Section that Plot BD-61-A in contained in.  in this example it lies within Section 9.

I have indicated (in green) Section 9 on the map.

Hope those instructions are not too complicated.

Contact details are,
[email protected]

+44 28 9061 3972[/font]

[/font]
Good luck[/font]
👍🏼[/font]

[/font]

Hi Bread Basket!

Thanks so much for those great suggestions.
I have just sent Milltown an email with those requests.
Lets hope now that there will be answers to shed light on Harriet Steenson and possibly my Grandmothers birth.

I'll keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Tracey